THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Phrasty

Babbling Farker
Hey guys... So I'v had this tank in my yard for about 6 months now meaning to make some time to get to it... Well it finally looks like this is round 2 for an offset build. It's about a 100 gal. (approx. 20"x50") air compressor tank made out of 3/8ths steel.

I don't have as much time on my hands this time around so the process might take a bit longer. I'm more than likely only gonna get to have time on the weekends for it. I'm also still looking for a couple parts and whatnot. Hopefully it wont drag on too long.

I'm planning on making this an offset smoker with the ability to be used as a grill (chicken cooker). This should be interesting... Hopefully it will go as smooth as my 120 gal. build.

I've already started to play a bit so the process has started and I'm planning on doing some more work on it this weekend.

Well... here's what I have so far:

I have cut the doors, welded on some hinges and started removing & grinding the unneeded parts on the exterior.
62727212.jpg

Made a single opening with double doors so it could fit a whole hog/lamb/goat... whatever. :thumb:
a63b0970.jpg

c14d869a.jpg

And some steel decided to come along for the ride...
f6ead9f4.jpg

Thanks for looking... This should be fun. :becky:
Cheers.

This does look like a Phrasty build! Happy to be able to watch this one from the beginning. Pass the popcorn, smokingj! :-D

How heavy are the doors on a 3/8" tank that size? Are they manageable without counterweight?

It's borderline... I can manage it but it would be nice. Odds are I'll counterweight it but I'm not gonna hold off lighting her up and cooking if it's not installed yet. :wink:

You mention whole animals...... rotisserie?

If I get the parts at a decent price why not but for now It'll just be on the bottom shelf. Gonna make the bottom shelf reversible for easy rotation.

wow. good luck. do you plan on a seam overlap in hte center on one of the doors?

Thanks a lot. Yeah I installed it today. :thumb: Check!

Cheers

So I got a little done today. Was on the road for most of the morning so I didn't get through everything planned. I managed to clean up the edges of the doors and cut and weld on the seals. Started marking and planning out the grate slides.

Here's a couple pics of today's activities:

Cleaning up:
fb7ca834.jpg

You can see how thick this tank is...
ff490cfd.jpg

Cutting the steel (just think this was a cool shot. :thumb:)
44b2e6c8.jpg

Took a little break with some pepper shrimps and a beer:
ae103d30.jpg

db7c1d20.jpg

Back to work grinding:
71b897c0.jpg

All clamped up for tacking:
c8aaaa27.jpg

And this is what we ended up with today. Not a bad start...
0ac44594.jpg

17191999.jpg

Hopefully I get a chance to get a little more done tomorrow. :thumb:

Thanks for looking.
Cheers.

Last edited:
Back