The "I like my grilled meats no longer walking" appreciation club

Sorry to say tortaboy, you only BBQ'ed your chuck and chicken. If you were actually smoking something you would be trying to preserve it for storage. The way you cooked your meat is BBQ.

Woops....you are correct.

I often use the term barbecue and smoked interchangeably.

My bad.

Check this out.

photo.jpg

Our local Vietnamese resturaunt hooked us up with this specialty. They own the fresh killed poultry place next door.

This is a dish of mixed chopped ducks organs and blood, the duck was killed to order and the dish was served raw with a little lime juice fsh sauce and garlic.

MMMM MMMM good!

Wow Cap, since there is no evidence to suggest salmonella danger is greater n chicken than any other poultry, you are really living on the edge...if you want to go completely wild and push your cheese right to the edge of your cracker and make tortaboy pass out, here's the risk you take.
Get a fresh oyster. Eat it RAW.
I mean it. Right from the shell.
Crikey!:laugh::laugh::laugh:The danger!

We are still having fun aren't we guys?:cool::becky::becky::becky:

Guess I did a 2 hour BBQ on my chicken, and a 10 hour BBQ on my chuckies huh?

Yes that is correct.

Sorry, I won't be able to join your club. I enjoy my beef R-MR, chicken done at 165, pork pulled at 140, lamb R=MR, sushi is great, and tuna seared on the outside and rare in the middle.

I'm with you Cap!

For the record, I like different cuts cooked to different doneness, love mutton and certain lamb cuts well done. Some beef cuts medium.
Fresh caught prawns I eat with chili, lime and garlic and cilantro, cleaned and squirming.
It just depends.

Yes that is correct.

Sorry, I won't be able to join your club. I enjoy my beef R-MR, chicken done at 165, pork pulled at 140, lamb R=MR, sushi is great, and tuna seared on the outside and rare in the middle.

That's okay, to each their own. :clap2:

I've been catching so much grief, I think we scared off anyone that likes their food cooked much more than the bowl of duck blood.:roll:

That's okay, to each their own. :clap2:

I've been catching so much grief, I think we scared off anyone that likes their food cooked much more than the bowl of duck blood.:roll:

Well, you did start out with a completely indefensible position :becky::becky:
Anyway, the other three are out trying sashimi:p:becky::becky:

LOL Cap

" Normally though, if the meat isn't rare, the picture taker is razzed about overcooking the meat. :becky:
How many of you purposely "Overcook" your GRILLED MEATS....Or, asked another way, How many of you appreciate your GRILLED MEATS, "Medium" or More?:thumb:

....And for the record, there is a difference between no pink and shoe leather.:boxing:
"

I just read this thread. So excuse my previous absence. lol. :laugh: But , WTF people, this is the craziest thread I have ever seen. We have one gentleman, Mr. tortaboy , that asked a specific question in the attempt for further enlightenment and knowledge. As you can see, he then answers his own question, and bashes those that disagree. A baited trap if you will. The original and only question that Mr. tortaboy ask, and really needs an answer to , is this...

" How many of you purposely overcook your grilled meats"

I can answer for the entire BBQ Brethren. Nobody purposely overcooks their grilled meats !!!. If it was purposeful, then that was made to order, and indeed not overcooked !!!

End of story.

Vinny.

Last edited by a moderator:
LakeDogs,

I’m going to challenge you on your comment.
. . .

charcoal will keep temps about 250F, and the wood will
kick up the temps to 300F-350F.

. . .

That's not a challenge, because:

Grilling is ordinarily hot and fast, usually over 450 degrees.

For steaks and other things I prefer medium rare I grill at 500.

For a pittsburgh (and I dont do a very good one) I go at 620 on the grill, if/when I can get 'er there.

HOT.

300-350 is a normal bake range. You're just baking your chicken and/or pork.

Wow....

Just wow. :roll::roll::roll:

I'll put myself in the doghouse now for thinking what I was gonna say.

"

I just read this thread. So excuse my previous absence. lol. :laugh: But , WTF people, this is the craziest thread I have ever seen. We have one gentleman, Mr. tortaboy , that asked a specific question in the attempt for further enlightenment and knowledge. As you can see, he then answers his own question, and bashes those that disagree. A baited trap if you will. The original and only question that Mr. tortaboy ask, and really needs an answer to , is this...

" How many of you purposely overcook your grilled meats"

I can answer for the entire BBQ Brethren. Nobody purposely overcooks their grilled meats !!!. If it was purposeful, then that was made to order, and indeed not overcooked !!!

End of story.

Vinny.

Cute:bow:....please give an example of "Bashing" though. I don't recall anyone claiming they were being bashed...in fact, they were having fun while answering a real question.

I can site examples of my claim.

But, my real question did have a serious side.

Do you see anyone posting pron of grilled meat that is cooked well done or medium well? Ask yourself why not? Is there REALLY only one acceptable level of doneness?

Do you see anyone posting pron of grilled meat that is cooked well done or medium well?

This hits the nail on the head for me. I had decided very early on in my membership I wouldn't post pron of my well done steaks. That was before I got 'to know' some of my brethren. Now that I know and love you guys I'm okay with taking ribbing from well-done pron. This thread has educated me and my new decision is if I ever figure out how to post pictures (I'll read the thread about it when I'm ready), and if I win my dispute with my internet provider to get out of usage-based bills and back on to unlimited internet, I am definitely going to post well-done pron. I think that is the more honest action (as opposed to hiding) and I'm working at being more honest with myself and others. I think posting well-done pron would give a voice to other well-done brethren like myself, too. You guys are okay and I'm happy to be a member of this fantastic bbq-brethren club even if we're not in the same cooked steak club. :love:

Do you see anyone posting pron of grilled meat that is cooked well done or medium well? Ask yourself why not? Is there REALLY only one acceptable level of doneness?

Yes, there are pictures of steaks, chops, roasts, etc. that are cooked to med well or well done posted regularly. They are not a numerous as pictures of rare- medium steaks, etc., but that is probably because the number of people who prefer their steaks rare- medium are more numerous. That doesn't mean that there is a conspiracy against folks who prefer meat cooked med well - well. Just look at the number of responses to this thread. The number of responses preferring rare - med rare outnumber the med well - well done responses.

The key thing to remember is that no one is forcing anyone to eat meat that they don't like. It's your steak. Eat it cooked however you like it.

The meats most of us like medium rare are Grilled not Barbecued. If you are saying to overcook Grilled meats - that ain't going to happen at my house.

I agree completely.
I don't really qualify as a 'Club Member'.
I sear my steaks and eat them Rare.
Burgers I do Med-well. Pork med. to med-well.

(Sushi ??? Room Temperature...)

Smoked meats I do Medium to Medium Well...

That's not a challenge, because:

Grilling is ordinarily hot and fast, usually over 450 degrees.
For steaks and other things I prefer medium rare I grill at 500.
For a pittsburgh (and I dont do a very good one) I go at 620 on the grill, if/when I can get 'er there. HOT.
300-350 is a normal bake range. You're just baking your chicken and/or pork.

I agree about the temps. I bought an Infrared Flame Grill to sear steaks.
I can crank that baby up to 1100°.
I sear for a total of about 1.5 minutes at 750 to 1000° then let it rest.
RARE, but with perfect Grill Marks.

Back