Brisket Done Temp Question

SmokinGuitarPlayer

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I've switched back to using a Big Green Egg (from a pellet pooper) for brisket cooking and the last 2 I cooked, my thermo probe wen't into the flat like "buttah" at around 180 degrees ... anyone pull them this early if they feel right?

if it feels good pull it ( :icon_blush: ) it i still going to carry over cook for a bit especially if you put it in a cambro... I had a pork but finish at around 177* one comp, threw me for a loop but checked with 2 thermapens and borrowed a neighbors but that sucker was done. I took 1st place pork with it!

temp not as important. if its tender and done then its done. kinda weird though. maybe higher marbeling or somtheing

If you did a low & slow, it's possible that it could be done at that temp. Yet another reason to not rely on temp as your primary doneness judgment.

Last Competition I did a prime brisket, it took forever to cook for some reason and I had to pull it at 177, it felt good though. Let it cool on the counter for 15 minutes, had more moisture in it than any brisket I've done so far and it placed 9th out of 47.

I've switched back to using a Big Green Egg (from a pellet pooper) for brisket cooking and the last 2 I cooked, my thermo probe wen't into the flat like "buttah" at around 180 degrees ... anyone pull them this early if they feel right?

Yes.

Back