• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

My "New" stainless smoker project......

garbageman59

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm a long time reader. New to posting. This is my work in progress. I found this in a construction dumpster a few years ago (It is a chinese duck smoker that was gas fired) and I am finally getting around to replacing my ten y.o. current model that is similar but narrower.

picture.php

picture.php

This is the box that will mount on the side.

picture.php

Misc. parts including charcoal grate made from 1" stainless propeller shaft from SkiNautique.
picture.php

Already have a new Stoker ready to go. I'm going to line the 1'x1" framed box with IsoKern, a volcanic composite fireplace liner. Then wrap in stainless "skin".

Any thoughts..........

My thoughts... pharking awesome...
None of this "just open wallet and instant smoker" stuff...

Bludge, Borrow, Adapt and Make is the way to get real fun smokers.

Regds and Respect!
Muzza.

I like your ideas and smoker and look forward to seeing it done.
BTW- your one picture gave me the idea for a cocacola themed UDS.

It would be seriously hard on the wallet to buy one! The box new is over $5k. I don't like the idea of a pretty painted vertical that would die in a year if left outside. They threw it away because the bottome (which was galvanized steel) failed from the water sitting in 1 back corner. Replaced the bottom with 1/8" stainless and she's good to go. Hoping it's my last smoker for MANY years.

Thanks

The Coke cooler! Good eye. That thig is going on Ebay ASAP! Looks like it was used maybe once and doesn't have a scratch on it.

Just picked one of these up on CL I think mine may be a little smaller. still a nice cooker. I was thinking of putting a fire box on mine but after seeing yours I may wait to see how the gravity system workes. Good luck keep us posted.
cooker1.jpg

cooker2.jpg

cooker3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
do you check the construction dump regularly or did you just happen to be strolling by on the right day at the right place at the right time? because that is probably one of the best finds ever.

Just Lucky. I knew what it was and saw two guys slide it out of their truck and they left it leaning against the dumpster on one of my jobs. I thanked them and called some buddies to help load into my truck and have had it waiting in my "project line". My current smoker is very similar but only 24" wide and I made the firebox in the bottom with gas assist for lighting. I have used it for 10 years. It is all stainless as well. Wanted to play with gravity feed and got a close look inside a few production models. I have done zero testing but I think my design will work based on others I have reverse engineered. I wanted to keep the chute and box completely separate. Should get a test fire in a few weeks. I'll keep posting as it comes together.

What did you have to give for it? That looks a lot like the one I'm using now. It has served me well but it only holds 6 slabs at a time and you really have to keep an eye on it. The new one will go 15 at a time. The gravity feed is the only way to go. I'm hoping with the Stoker it's set it and forget it.

I gave $300.00 for it. My brother in law has a fab. shop and is going to put a fire box off the back and more shelves then mount it to a trailer should be a good cooker it is very well insulated so it should'nt take much to heat. he is going to start next week so I'll post pics as i get them.

Thats a great deal. I gave $100 for my first one on Ebay 10 years ago and it cost me $150 to ship it down from NY. The burners were all rotted out so nobody bid on it. I think you did very well. Free was better but that doesn't happen often. They make the bottoms and inside out of galvanized steel so that is how I got #2. One of the legs collapsed through the floor and it became unusable as a restaurant appliance. If I had a brother in law that could fab I'd be in heaven! He'd screen my phone calls!

Forward Progress

Installed the firebox liner today with the help of Uncle Joe. He is an amazing 50+ year stone setter who is a great help with anything stone/masonry/tile related. Couldn't have got pieces to fit nearly as tight without a pro. We had to tap them in place with a mallet. The material is called IsoKern. It is designed to be a fireplace material. It is made of portland and crushed volcanic rock. 2000 degrees on one side and cool to the touch on the other.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

<------ super jealous pit envy mod.

I'm lovin it! Keep the pics coming!

This is why she got thrown away.......

Before scrap shot through the roof. She was dicarded because the bottom caved in.
picture.php

picture.php

It looks like a Towne unit from NY, NY. If you have the 36" wide unit, the racks from a J&R 250 will fit right in. Very nice fab and stone work on the conversion.

It's made by WIN Supply

Thanks. It's a WIN. Very similar to Towne. I have two. A 24 with a maze and the 36 i'm going gravity fed. Both stripped of original burners.

Hi Teemp Sealant In Tubes

I need a hi temp sealant in tubes. I was going to use Thermal Ceramics Kaowoll Moldable in caulk tubes. I can't find anything but cases of 12 and I only need a few. Anyone know of a sealant that is food grade and can be exposed to temps up to 1000 degrees F. Silicone is capable of up to 5-600 but I want something a little tougher than that. I am also concerned about off gassing at high temps so I prefer something that is NSF rated for food grade (maybe something designed for an oven or pizza oven????).

It is for sealing the IsoKern (a masonry based product) to the steel frame before I put the stainless skin on.

Any ideas :confused::confused::confused:???? Thanks, Scott

Back