logo

Southwick Mass. Grill N Daze bbq and chili competition

Skidder

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
July 17th at the Southwick, Mass. recreation Center free to get in. 12 noon till whenever. Will be pork,chicken and beef for bbq with a chili contest thrown in too. Forth annual very fun time for a good cause

I wish that I had known about this earlier.

Are you involved with the organizing? Do you have a website or any other information?

Eric

It seems like the time to apply has passed.

Also, the application states that they won't explain judging until the day of. That seems really odd.

Have you competed here before?

Eric

Just call Bob Fox he'll let you in. There very flexible. There really aren't any rules as far as we know. You pretty much just need 6 pieces for the judjes. Yes this is our third year. This year I convinced him to have categories in the past it was just open bbq with 1st through 3rd place now it's 1st through 3rd in 3 categories. The first year we did 3rd in bbq and 2nd in chili. Last year we did 2nd in bbq and 3rd in chili. It is a good time plus we vend and made $1300

They will get more competitors if they make it a KCBS sanctioned event. The folks at the New England BBQ Society (nebs.org) can help them get pointed in the right direction for next year if they are interested.

CBQ yeah this started out as just a small town grilling thing but it's slowly getting much larger. Bob Fox the gentleman that puts it on is a member of the NEBS and has been in touch with them. It used to be an open bbq thing as in you could turn in anything you wanted. So I suggested to have a few categories to even things out a bit and this is where it is now. It also used to have one category with 1st - 3rd place $$ and trophies now it has 1st - 3rd $$ and trophies in 3 categories. So it's getting there.

Just an FYI, nebs.org has a good list of northeast-area stuff, both KCBS and non. This one has been listed for a long time.

CBQ yeah this started out as just a small town grilling thing but it's slowly getting much larger. Bob Fox the gentleman that puts it on is a member of the NEBS and has been in touch with them. It used to be an open bbq thing as in you could turn in anything you wanted. So I suggested to have a few categories to even things out a bit and this is where it is now. It also used to have one category with 1st - 3rd place $$ and trophies now it has 1st - 3rd $$ and trophies in 3 categories. So it's getting there.

Sounds good. KCBS sanctioned events are more expensive, but a lot of teams (including us) only do full 4 category sanctioned events, so it's worth considering.

i'm gonna be there! heck, i live in southwick! all brethren meet at skidders ez-up!

I will definitely compete if they are doing this again next year.

It would help if they were a bit more clear how things are run and judged, but the most important factor is advance notice. I have friends who live in Agawam that would have competed with me if we had known in time.

Good luck! Have a great time.

Eric

The judges in the past walked around and found out what their buddies were making and what others were, how ironic that is who won. Maybe worth vending but not Competing because of it. JMO

Thats funny because we got 2nd and 3rd place finishes two years in a row and I didn't know a single person there. Nice badmouthing something you know nothing about. It's a great fun day for a good cause.

What is the name of your team, not bad mouthing. Since when do the judges go around asking what your making? At least this year they are making it a category event I commend them for that but they still need to keep the judges out of the area. This event I believe is for a great cause and is growing probably get more people if things like that are corrected, JMO.

Back