Ribs

Z

Zito

I'm going to enter my 1st BBQ competition in a few weeks and I'd like to get some info. Should I use babybacks, St Louis style or spare ribs? I just don't know what would get me the best results. Thanks for any help.

cook whichever you know how to cook best.

also check to see if the rules allow you to cook either type..

Good Luck

Yeah I've done all of them really well so that's why I asked. I haven't seen the rules yet but I will be sure to check. Thanks for the help. Where is a good place to get high quality ribs?

From your location, I'd bet you're doing either an IBCA or LSBS contest - and for those, you'll have to do spares. If you're comfortable cooking ribs cut to St. Louis style, do those; if you prefer not to cut them, do that - whatever you do best. Where to get them? Do you have an HEB near you? I've had good luck with those. The Sam's Club here is on-and-off when it comes to ribs; sometimes they're really good & meaty with straight bones, other times they're just plain AWFUL. YMMV.

Lynn H.

What Lynn H said above. It really depends on the sanctioning body. If unsanctioned, then it's really up to you.

Spares are a little more forgiving with respect to timing, so many cooks that have a choice (like, for example, at a KCBS event) choose a St. Louis cut spare, but go with what you think your best product is.

Spares go better in the box and offer more flavor, IMO.

Spares go better in the box and offer more flavor, IMO.

Rub is spot on regarding fitting in the box. We do BB's for MBN comps and getting them in the box cleanly can be a bit of a pain... As for more flavor, I'll respectfully disagree. Everyone has their preferences & all. :becky:

A spare rib, cut and trimmed properly, will usually have an edge in appearance. Also, it is easier to get several (six at least for KCBS) that look like clones.

My experience in judging is that spares far outnumber bb's as competition entries, at least in my corner of the country. I like both types and don't care what's in the box -- my scores will be on appearance, taste and tenderness -- but I can see why most teams cook spares.

Back