Does shoulder need a rest / cooler time, if it came off perfect?

Kubbie

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I did an overnight on my UDS with about 15lbs of shoulder.
When I woke up this morning, it was still chugging along at 230, checked it and it was ready. (Was falling apart just getting it off the smoker)

I like the bark as it is now, with good moisture inside still.
Just perfect!

Question: Can I pull it now, or do I need to rest it some? They've been off the heat for about 15 minutes in a pan foiled.

I need it for dinner later, so I was hoping to pull it now and re-heat. Help?

DSC04965-vi.jpg

I'd let it rest for about a 1/2 hour and pull it. Just save the juices to had back when reheating.

Thanks Mayor - I assumed I needed some time anyway, since I like to hand pull it and not chop it up - probably too hot to handle.

Thanks Mayor - I assumed I needed some time anyway, since I like to hand pull it and not chop it up - probably too hot to handle.

You just answered your own question..."probably too hot to handle"...:thumb: I let mine rest at least an hour...1...to cool down...and...2...to reabsorb some juices...:cool:

I normally let mine sit in a cooler foiled for a couple few hours. I find that when I pull them around 200* and do this, the fat inside the butts is almost all gone. As it renders all the juices go back into the meat making it very moist. In the past I pulled to soon and found that the meat needed some apple juice or what not because it seemed dry. Also there was a bunch of fat to toss! As far as the bark getting soft I think it is just fine this way and actually use kitchen shears to break it up into small little flavor bits. Hope this helps. Nice looking butts BTW! :heh:

I just did a few butts and let them site for a bit. The first I pulled after 30 mins. It was good. The second I started after 1.25 hours and it was more moist with less juice in the foil that the first. Made me think I need to be more patient!

Back