UDT= Ugly Drum Tandoor... with PRON!!

caliking

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Brothers:

A brother requested pics of the tandoor I built in 2008... so here goes (I hope the pics post).

Pic 1 : Newly built, standing guard in the backyard

Pic 2 : Top view. Lined with firebrick, refractory cement, inverted terracotta planter

Pic 3: Top view closer in (before it was fired)

Pic 4: View through the bottom hatch

Pic 5: Fire in the hole! :p Groceries on skewers (tandoori chicken)

Pic 6: Naans fresh out of the tandoor.

Last edited:
Very nice build, I really like it, I imagine you build it where you are gonna use it though.

Now I need some explanation of the whole Tandoori cooking process...

Here is a great picture of a tandoor in action.
extra_large_image261.jpg

The breads are stuck on the sides of the tandoor creating the characteristic flat breads common to Indian cooking. The meats are cooked on skewers and are prepared with spicy and savory pastes and marinades, often heavy with chilies, sweet spices and yogurt. Herbs are not as heavily used due to the heat of the tandoor.

I have been fascinated with tandoor cooking for a long time, but, they are pricey ovens. In particular, I love naan and kulchas.

Sweet tandoor! What is that, a UDT? UTD? You have created a new form of cookery!

The UDT is actually portable... metal wheels on the bottom. When I lived in Iowa, i moved it back into the garage (and fired it up there) for the winter on a dolly. The movers were about to break their backs before i told they could wheel/trundle it down the driveway onto their truck. In Houston, it can be wheeled around on concrete, but the dolly needs to come out for it to go anywhere else.

The quick and dirty on cooking with a tandoor: think really high temp grilling (700F+). Dump a bag of lump in the top hole (lands in the bottom)and let it rip. The groceries are loaded up on 4' skewers so that they sit about 12" or so above the coals. I saved the bottom of the terracotta planter for a lid. Slide the lid on and give it about 5-7mins. Take the groceries out and baste with clarified butter or oil of your choice... or don't. Let rest 5mins, then put the skewers back in for 5-7mins or until you see a little charring on the meat.

The tandoor cooks by radiant heat, convection heat, and conducted heat through the skewer. It has to be brought up to temp slowly over a couple of hours to get the full effect. The walls of the tandoor are seasoned with a mix of spinach, mustard oil, yogurt, and some other stuff I can't remember. This type of oven can be found in Central and Southwest Asia, usually used to cook breads (like naan). The naans are made by slapping them against the side of the tandoor for about 2-3mins, then pulling them off with a long hook and skewer. Commercial ones are available that run on gas, but that's cheating! :mrgreen:

Experienced tandoor cooks have lost the hair on the forearms from reaching into the blazing oven too many times (I've lost much of mine).

More info is available on Wikipedia and Google. Hope this little bit helped!

I Love it and I love that style of food as well. How do you suspend the skewers. That is one cool tandoor.

Finally!
I was wondering some time ago if anyone had used a drum and a claypot to make a tandoor in this thread, and got very few responses.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71829

Glad to see you have done so, now I am inspired, and just so happen to have just picked up two new drums...:mrgreen:

does it get up to ~900?
Does the claypot withstand the heat, as typically they are fairly thin?

Thanks for posting!

Now that's cool- very interesting. Thanks for posting.

Yea another build I can do! Do you happen to have a mini guide on how you built it?

Great stuff, I would like to hear more about the construction job...always room for another crafty device on the deck.

Back