• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Competition Sauce

Big B

Got Wood.
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm wanting to enter my sauce at the next comp that I do in the spring. For those of you who compete in this area, what is the criteria. Can you make the sauce at home or does it have to be made on site. And what is the best way to present it to the judges: Cold, room temp, or hot. Any info regarding this would be great.

Thanks,

Big B

I have only entered that event once and it was am IBCA event not KCBS. We could make it at home, but I made it there. Something to do on Friday after setup. I would serve it as you like it.

I only entered twice (Lakeland,FL-KCBS). last year - 10th overall. This year - embarrassing. We turned both in hot and made it the week before. I made the sauce how I like it at home (slight vinegar taste with some heat). Turned in hot as we usually get some colder weather here in FL that time of year.

I don't do them. Do I turn in my sauce for: pork, chicken, ribs, or ????? It is a sauce recipe, so which is it??? And most of the time, it is like, for example, the one I am in this weekend costs $30 to enter, and payout is $50 and only pays 1 place. Same with other extra entries. They usually cost too much to recoop any your money if you win. So, I enter them...

Like smoke-n-my-is said its sort of like throwing your money away, the pay out is rarely worth the entry fee. But with that being said i have tried my hand in sauce before. The sauce that I make has a different taste right out of the pot when hot than it does in the cooler, so i find that I have to heat mine before turn ins.

Sauce alone does not tell the full story of que. It is the marriage of the sauce and the seasoned meat that produces the final offering to the palate.

Like smoke-n-my-is said its sort of like throwing your money away, the pay out is rarely worth the entry fee. But with that being said i have tried my hand in sauce before. The sauce that I make has a different taste right out of the pot when hot than it does in the cooler, so i find that I have to heat mine before turn ins.
Hey Elliot! Welcome to the brethren!

For presentation, I suggesting taking warm (not hot, not cold, just warm) sauce and
slathering up a few naked strippers. It'll get noticed!!!

Last year at a contest it was the final category (2PM) and I had forgotten about it until somebody mentioned it. I grabbed a bowl put some brisket juice and whatever else I could get my hands on and mixed it up and poured it in to the 6 little cups and sent it on its way figuring it would come it DAL. WHen I got called for the win we busted out laughing, It was the best $650 i ever made

LOL. NO!!! Way too much sauce on her... Just a little sauce, strategically placed,
so that the judge when sampling the sauce gets the full...... *ZAP*

While we are on the topic of sauce, my turn in ribs always seem to have some brush strokes that are semi-visible on the finished ribs. Is there a good way to avoid this, maybe thinning out my sauce a little bit.

Back