??'s about the WSM 18.5

earthling30

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
For those of you that have one, how do you like it? Is it easy to control the temp? Is the temp gage accurate? How does it compare to a well used UDS?

The reason for the questions is my employer is giving me a 15 years service gift and the WSM 18.5 is one of the many choices and the only one that involves BBQ. After all it's a Weber which I know the quality of the production will be great. I have a UDS which I'm very happy with, so I'm kind of considering getting one to add to the family, just wanted to get your input and thoughts on it before moving forward with this.

I have a 22" WSM. I can honestly say I love it. It's pretty freaking close to a UDS in a lot of ways, but you won't ever regret having one. Not ever, and if it's free, all the better. It is ridiculously easy to control the temp in those things. It's a very set it and forget it kind of smoker. The 22" is a bit of a fuel hog, but I always have some leftover for the next cook. Fill the ring up, and it's good to go for the duration of any cook I've ever thrown at it, and it's been a lot.

Unless there's something else you REALLY want on that list, I cannot recommend that sucker enough. You'll never go "Man, that thing was a total waste of an anniversary gift."

It's super easy to cono the temp on a 18.5 WSM. And my temp gauge actually is accurate, although I like to use a probe thermometer at grate level.

You've got a chance to get one free there's nothing to think about, mine cost me $300.

I hoard 18.5" WSMs.

'Nuff said..

Seriously, they are great cookers and very easy to control. I do not have one with the factory thermo, so I can't speak to how well they work, but guys have posted on here that they can be 30 degrees off either way.

Better get the freebie while you can!

For those of you that have one, how do you like it? Is it easy to control the temp? Is the temp gage accurate? How does it compare to a well used UDS?

The reason for the questions is my employer is giving me a 15 years service gift and the WSM 18.5 is one of the many choices and the only one that involves BBQ. After all it's a Weber which I know the quality of the production will be great. I have a UDS which I'm very happy with, so I'm kind of considering getting one to add to the family, just wanted to get your input and thoughts on it before moving forward with this.

WOW! My choices were a set of binoculors or a watch. A couple weeks ago I thought about selling My 18" be cause of lack of use (UDS and a couple Kettles) I was convinced on this forum not to. Glad I kept it. It's FREE get it. Just wondering, What else could you choose from? A WSM is an awesome gift.

Dayum! I got a freaking 6"x6" piece of etched glass thanking me for 25 years of service to _____ County. Wanna trade for that 18" WSM?

Get it while you can! (the WSM that is, you will love it!)

I love my 18.5" WSM, no problem controlling the temperature. I find my thermometer reads a little cooler than the grate temperature but that's really no problem for me. Just pick the smoker!

you'll love it...set it and forget it. Mine holds temp for hours without budging.

Get it if you don't have a smoker. If there is a TV on the list, that may be the only other choice I would go with

Love mine. Easy to control temps, and it holds enough coals that I've done 19-hour cooks on one load of coals.

It's a great smoker. My only complaint is that you can't lay many racks of ribs flat because of size. You also can't cook any big packer briskets. But I cooked 25 lbs of pork butts and brisket flats for my daughters bday party and it was great.

Size is the only reason I'm now building a UDS!

John

You asked how it would compare to a well seasoned UDS. My answer to that would be that it holds a bit steadier temp and isn't quite as wind sensitive. Very comparable but btw the 2, I like the WSM more.

Have one and would get another in a second.

"You don't win friends with salad!" - Homer Simpson

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love mine! Very easy to control temps and one load of fuel will run 10-12 hours @ 275 for me. The thermometer on mine isn't very accurate. Seems to be between 20-25 degrees off according to the Maverick. I'd have another one in a second!

I've got two and really like them. Very good at holding temps and you can use rib racks if you really want to pile on lots of ribs. Can't say I trust the accuracy of the dome thermometers though. I've got a Maverick and Digi Q to monitor temps.
You won't regret it.

I love mine. Had it for a couple years and have done brisket, ribs butts, chickens... I even did a 27 pound turkey in it by standing it on end.

I have a remote reading thermometer (ET-73 and now an ET-732) and usually control to the temperature at grate level or just a little lower. (I have a cheap eyelet just below the level of the top grate and I just stick the cooker probe far enough in to get the probe itself completely in the cooker so it doesn't fall out.) Early in the cook, the lid thermometer reads lower than the grate thermometer because it is shielded from the hot gases by cold meat. As the smoke progresses, they come closer together. If you control the smoker by using the lid thermometer you will still get good results.

I've added a third grate to mine supported by some short 1/4" bolts between the other grates. That provides 50% more capacity for stuff like ribs or brisket that are relatively flat. Should work well for chicken parts as well.

If you're looking to get into smoking, it's hard to beat a 18.5 WSM for your first smoker. You will produce some truly great 'Q with it! :thumb:

I have 2 with Pro Q stackers. they are the shiznit really. use a foil lined clay saucer and you can cook steadily at 215-300 degrees

I have 2 WSMs and I like them a lot.

They are enameled inside and out, which makes them long lasting and easy to clean.

It is easy to control and maintain temperatures.

The thermometer that comes with the unit is accurate for where it is located. It's location in the lid makes it typically read 50F lower then a reading taken at the grate.

I don't have a UDS, so I can't help you with that question.

Good luck!

Bob

I had an 18.5" and loved it. I regret getting rid of it but sold it to a friend who wanted to get into BBQ as well. I have access to it whenever I need it and don't have enough room in my propane smoker

Back