More Taco Madness w/ Homemade Tortillas!

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
The Missus really has taken the homemade tortilla project to a whole new level. We purchased some fresh masa Sunday afternoon, and it's a world better than the dry mix she had been using. While that was good, these tortillas are without question, the best I've ever eaten!

First, I whipped up some salsa roja using chile de arbol, chile de guajillo, onions, garlic, roma tomatoes, tomatillos, salt, lime juice, cloves, cinnamon, and some other stuff. Then I made some fresh pico de gallo:

IMG_4654.jpg

Then I pulled out some marinated carne asada as well as some Salvadoran Chorizo:

IMG_4655.jpg

Next I set up my Kingsford Oval for indirect with a small piece of oak:

IMG_4658.jpg

On went the meat, and while that was cooking, The Missus began making tortillas and got the chorizo going:

IMG_4665.jpg

IMG_4666.jpg

About 15 mins later, I finished up the carne on the hot side of the grill:

IMG_4664.jpg

Finally, we served up the tacos topped with the pico de gallo and salsa roja.

IMG_4669.jpg

The tortillas were soft puffy discs of indescribable goodness! The meat was great, and even my spontaneous salsa roja hit the spot.

I'm going to go out on a limb and bet that the el paso tacos my wife is making for dinner tonight won't hold a candle to that mexican fiesta.

P.S. Don't tell her though ....

Nicely done, hard to beat fresh masa, it is not even the same raw materials.

Looks delicious. What kind of fancy charcoal makes the groovy purple color?

That's my kinda grub right there!!! I'd hit those hard. The corn torts look incredible as well. How was the red salsa? I've never added cinnamon or cloves before. How much did you use?

Damn that looks good! I've heard that fresh masa is much better than the dry mix, but I've never tried it.

That's my kinda grub right there!!! I'd hit those hard. The corn torts look incredible as well. How was the red salsa? I've never added cinnamon or cloves before. How much did you use?

I can vouch that this sauce rocks! But I did not add cinnamon or clove because I had neither but it still came out great and was perfect for fajitas.

That looks fantastic - and now I know first hand your food tastes at least as good as it looks! :clap2: Y'all ate much healthier than I did yesterday. I ended up farking around with Spam, bacon and hashbrowns. :heh: Very nice work - I gotta implement those homemade tortillas. :thumb:

The salsa roja was good - I'm still trying to tweak it so it's closer to the kind we get at many of the LA Taquerias. There's place in Santa Monica that has the best salsa roja I've ever had. I've gotten friendly with the owner who has promised to give me the recipe, which he indicated had both clove and cinnamon in small quantities. This time I added 1/4 tsp clove and cinnamon.

Wow - looks amazing! Just ate but now I'm craving tacos... :tsk:

I have yet to try making tortillas but have a bag of masa kicking around. Dos your wife use a tortilla press? Does she have any good tips for making a good tortilla like the ones in the pics?

Dude! You are killing me! That looks so good. How do you know when the chorizo is done? I eat it on stuff all the time but never have cooked any myself?

Wow - looks amazing! Just ate but now I'm craving tacos... :tsk:

I have yet to try making tortillas but have a bag of masa kicking around. Dos your wife use a tortilla press? Does she have any good tips for making a good tortilla like the ones in the pics?

Forget the powdered stuff - see if you can get fresh white masa at a Mexican market. We use a tortilla press, with the masa ball set between a sheet of plastic. Works great!

Back