• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Just finished my first uds

Think Blue Smoke

Reaction score
Here's my first uds. I just seasoned it yesterday and I can't wait to throw some ribs on it tomorrow. But, I have some questions on how to load up the charcoal basket. What's the best way to set up the wood chunks so they don't all smoke at once? Also, how much charcoal should I load up if I'm doing babybacks?

IMG_2330.jpg

Hers's my makeshift charcoal basket. It's the screen from a large fan.
What do you guys think, should I paint it or leave it ugly?

IMG_2331.jpg

Sweet looking ride you got there. That's pretty innovative basket, too. Don't paint it. As far as charcoal goes, I fill mine about halfway up(mine is 12" high), leaving an open circle in the center. That's where I drop 12-15 lit coals. I usually drop a piece of oak on that and drop 2 more on the unlit. Once your cook is done, you can close the vents and the fire will go out, leaving the unlit coals for another cook.

Yeah I wouldn't paint the basket. I was wondering whether I should paint the drum. I like it as is but also think it would look pretty smooth with some paint.
I'm sure you did, but did you burn that thing out prior to building?

Just checking, can`t really tell by the pic on your cap is it galvenized?? is looks like it but can`t tell from pic for sure

Good looking drum. I just completed my 2nd cook on mine and so far I absolutely love it. You will too. No Paint. My charcoal basket is made from the fire grate of a 22.5 Weber, about 17 inches in diameter with expanded steel 6 inches high. I put about 10-12 lbs of charcoal mixed with 3-4 fist sized chunks of hickory. The last cook was about 12 hrs and I had charoal left after I choked it down.

Looking good, I was wondering the same about burning it out....

Back