View Single Post
Old 10-14-2012, 03:32 AM   #1
This is not your pork!
is one Smokin' Farker

Exclamation In need of some last minute advice on smoking whole chicken

Today is my first try on whole chicken, and I'm a little nervous right now due to my epic fail on my first try on poultry.

So I have three small Perutnina chicken each with about 2.7 lbs. They already have been brined for ~ 24 hours in Sal Marina Natural + white sugar + black peppercorns + honey, and were in the fridge for drying up the skin over night:

They are supposed to be served for dinner in about 9 hours. I intend to spatchcock them and put them on my WSM with some apple wood at 350-400°F.

I intend to inject and slather with the following mixture instead of simply applying a rub:
  • 2 tbs table salt
  • 1 tbs brown sugar
  • 2 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • 1 cup melted butter
Before I proceed I'd like to clarify the following:
  1. Are only the breast and thighs injected?
  2. How would I get the mixture under the skin?
  3. Do I slather the chicken before I put them on, or during the cook?
  4. Do I need to turn the spatchcocked chicken when put on the grate with skin-side facing upwards?
  5. Do I need to foil the legs and wings in the first part of the cook, for how long, or does this not make any sense?
  6. What's the estimated cooking time for a 2.7 lbs bird @ 350°F?
  7. I most likely will have to let them rest before serving, do I need to foil them for resting, or can I just put them in an oven at 200°F, and is resting chicken in an oven at 200°F a good idea?
Any other last minute advice is very much appreciated.