Dr BBQ [moved from Q-talk]

Actually I never told them and they didn't ask.
It was Fab B mixed with water. The story and the whole recipe from that day is in my new book due out in May.

drbbq said:
Actually I never told them and they didn't ask.
It was Fab B mixed with water. The story and the whole recipe from that day is in my new book due out in May.

That's right, people on here were speculating that is what it was. I think I will order some of that to try before my cookoff.

CarbonToe said:

A search of the Competition forum should turn up some discussion of the product. You can find it here http://www.theingredientstore.com/ .

Moved to Competition since Fab B tends to be used in competition more than the back yard and will get more discussion..

Last edited:
Damn..... the ingredient list of the FAB-B and the other varieties read like the back of a frozen dinner box....and we know how many Americans love to gobble that stuff up !!!!

MilitantSquatter said:
Damn..... the ingredient list of the FAB-B and the other varieties read like the back of a frozen dinner box....and we know how many Americans love to gobble that stuff up !!!!

I had the same thought. I am sure it does something for competition turn in meat, but I just don't really want to use that stuff I guess.

This is a first, moving something to comp. forum.:shock:

Seriously, I would be interested in what percent of comp cooks here use Fab b. Maybe we need to poll you guys using the forum software. If anybody else is interested I will set it up.

Just reading the ingredients is a turn off......Not sure I would ever use that stuff. Is it the powerful of flavor? Seems nothing but chemical to me.....Bob

FAB B Contains: Hydrolyzed soy protein, vegetable oil (soybean and or corn, cottonseed), sodium phosphates, mono sodium glutamate, autolyzed yeast extract, disodium inosinate and guanylate, xanthan gum.
I hate to say it, but that seems to be the ticket here in the midwest, good old MSG. We have a local team that just couldn't score in brisket early in the year....by year end, their in the top 3 every event. Jay introduced one of the team members to his "special" coffee, 6 cups later he's sharing his tips and tricks.....MSG gives me a headache, so I won't be using it.....but I know for a fact that it did help one team's overall performance last year!

It's no secret that MSG is in the rub that I use. It says so on the bottle.

By the way---MSG doesn't give me a headache----My coffee does:grin:

I wasn't aware of that, Ray. I would like to learn the proper techniques in using MSG to my advantage. Phil pointed me in that direction at a contest last fall but I imagine there are all sorts of ways to utilize the stuff to improve your chances. The "wow" factor from the first bite has been discussed here several times. Is MSG a factor in that? My common sense says it would be but I'm interested to hear from some veteran guys who use it with success.

could the fab b be used as a base for other seasonings or is it used by itself? also, is yeast extract anything like vegamite? thanks.
phil

drbbq said:
You guys do know that MSG is made primarily from beets don't you?

Yes, and I have been known to use it on my beef rubs. (by the way, it comes from stuff other than just beets: seaweed, corn, papaya are some that I vaguely recall.)

I have never used this stuff, as far as I know: "autolyzed yeast extract, disodium inosinate and guanylate, xanthan gum".

I have nothing against FAB B, especially since I have never used it or even seen it that I know. Just kinda not at a point where i see myself using this stuff. Who knows, that may change. Call me close minded, but the less -ates, -ites, and -ans the better in general. Interesting discussion nonetheless.

Interesting. The "secret" ingredient for a lot of chili competitions is Sazon Goya, which also had some folks not using it since it has MSG in it.

rookiedad said:
could the fab b be used as a base for other seasonings or is it used by itself? also, is yeast extract anything like vegamite? thanks.
phil

It's a dry mix that is recomended to be dissolved and injected. I add a little cayenne and dissolve it as directed with water. I don't see why you couldn't add other things.

If you email Joe Ames I'm sure he could tell you more about the makeup. I never asked.

www.theingredientstore.com

Jeff_in_KC said:
I wasn't aware of that, Ray. I would like to learn the proper techniques in using MSG to my advantage. Phil pointed me in that direction at a contest last fall but I imagine there are all sorts of ways to utilize the stuff to improve your chances. The "wow" factor from the first bite has been discussed here several times. Is MSG a factor in that? My common sense says it would be but I'm interested to hear from some veteran guys who use it with success.

It's a flavor enhancer. I use it in my rub too, which I quit selling because I got tired of all the alarmist who don't know what MSG is. but are happy to speak out against it.

I was interested in the fact that the first two ingredients in FAB B and P are soy based. It was the taste that came through to me how careful do you have to be in quantity used and proportions mixed?

Back