Wish me luck brothers. First brisket

Foiling was key for me

Couldn't figure out why the temp wasn't going up. Then I read up on it - turns out foiling was absolute key. Without it the brisket just wasn't going up in temp for hours. I think you will be just fine.

null_zps485d8c7f.jpg

null_zps14aa2019.jpg

null_zps36560852.jpg

null_zpsdbc26fbf.jpg

Well guys I think I did it. Can't wait to slice into it. It's resting in the cooler now. I figured since I'm on a roll trying new things, why not some ABT's. I did about a dozen with pineapple and a dozen without. Next up is smoked peaches with walnuts and goat cheese.

Okay sliced up and ready to serve. Better than I expected but not as good as I hoped.
null_zpsfbb1697c.jpg

Just a tad over done, but for your first one you got nothing to apologize for! It looks Dam good to me I'd eat the stew out of it. I would rather be a little over the line that fall short, no teeth needed tender beats I'd rather eat my saddle fender everyday.

Thanks Blu. The thing was probing like butter everywhere but the thickest part. I let it go for another hour and still the same. I checked the IT and it was 207. Pulled it and set it in foil in the cooler to vent for about 15 min. Wrapped it foil and sealed it in the cooler for about 2 hours. Next time I'll be a better shopper when it comes to my brisket. Uniform thickness would have worked out a lot better for me. Thankfully the ABT's are filling us up so the family won't have to struggle through too much of my brisket. Now it's time to get these peaches going.

null_zpsfca4f7fa.jpg

Thanks char. My cook is finally done. And to my amazement there is still about 1/4 basket of charcoal. That's a 20hr burn with less than 10 pounds of fuel. Makes me want to hug the UDS but she's still cooling down. Here's the last pic. The peaches were smothered in honey, brown sugar and a dash of cinnamon. Smoked skin up for about 1.5 hr until soft. Flipped, filled the hole with goat cheese and topped with walnuts. Smoked for a, not realy sure because we drank too much to keep track of time.

null_zpsc0fabf8a.jpg

The initial vent. Does that mean "let it sit" before foiling?

Looking good, Jack!

Yep. This allows most of the heat to come off the meat so that it doesn't carry over cook to being over done.

Yep. This allows most of the heat to come off the meat so that it doesn't carry over cook to being over done.

Good, that's what I thought. If the meat comes in, I will be doing a packer next Saturday...so it's good to refresh my technique.

Well I sure would eat it, good effort mate

Back