New job offer...

Smokin'Butts

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I was just offered the pitmaster position at a new restaurant getting ready to open. I am looking forward to the opportunity, just a bit nervous. I cook and sell roadside successfully now, but I have never done the restaurant thing. Any tips for a first timer?

Show up on time, keep it up for more than a week.

Seriously, good luck, I hope everything is to your satisfaction.

My biggest thing about kitchen work, roll with the punches, adapt, adapt, adapt...things will go wrong, the difference is how you handle them.

good luck on the job! And congrats. But i'll just voice some concerns for you.

How much control do you have over the operation vs how much control do you want of the operation?

Do the owners have any idea about the BBQ business? Restaurant business?

Are you doing this as a full time gig, or a consulting/getting them up and running type of thing?

tips....As an owner.
Show up on time.
Do exactly what is asked of you. now, this is a double edged sword, you can always go above and beyond, but the places recipes and techniques need to be respected. If you're not the sole pitmaster, consistency is paramount.
Help clean up, not just your station, the entire restaurant. I have a "not allowed to walk past a piece of garbage" policy at my place. It doesn't matter if you're the chef, sous chef or the dishwasher, if somethings on the floor, pick it up.

commercial kitchen tips
always carry a rag, things get hot, rags are good pot holders
when traversing a kitchen the correct way to do so is behind working people, clearly announcing behind. If carrying a hot or sharp object, a customary HOT BEHIND, or SHARP BEHIND is used.

Congrats!

Now when you say Pitmaster you mean your bringing in your own recipes and techniques or your just running the smoker?
What will you be cooking on?

just do your best and learn there way's you know how to cook

Hey neighbor - you're gonna keep Simmon's going on Fridays and Saturdays, right? I was hoping to swing by this weekend!

Congratulations on the offer! Sounds cool :-D

Yeah, I will be there tomorrow. We were there today as well. Looking forward to meeting ya!

That part about cleaning, I forgot about that. Nobody likes a sloppy cook. Everything clean.

If it is clean, keep it clean
If it's dirty, clean it

Back