Butcher paper vs. paper sack...

shirknwrk

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
In the butcher paper red/white thread, Bludawg mentioned using ordinary paper grocery sacks to wrap turkey or brisket so I'm wondering "Why not?" I suppose a very big brisket would need a very big bag... or two... but is there any other reason NOT to take advantage of grocery bags for use in a smoker? I've got a 4lb chuck that will just fit in a shallow foil pan that will just fit sideways in a big grocery sack... Thinking I could just fold the top over and under the whole thing and stick the temp probe through the sack. Got lotsa sacks.

When I was a kid, my mom would cook our Thanksgiving turkey in a brown paper bag soaked in peanut oil and tied with a piece of twine. Came out moist & juicy every time. Seems like the same principle at work here...

When I was in boy scouts they taught us we could cook bacon and eggs in a brown paper bag over an open fire, you cook the bacon first, and you have to use some care to not light the bag on fire.

But brown paper bags could have nearly any recycled paper products in them, I'd buy butcher paper first ;-).

Bill

Some "experts" say that cooking in brown paper bags could be unsanitary. They may have a point. The glues, dyes and paper itself is not meant to be food quality.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Food-Safety-Issues-767/Cooking-Turkey-Brown-Paper.htm
It aint kilt me yet!! My Granny & My Ma both cooked turkeys in grocery sacs, and I use them for Briskets mainly because I cant get Butcher paper locally.Once the stuff is heated above 160 all the nasties are kilt off making it sterile. If your worried about the ink make sure it stays on the outside. As for it being sanitary Part of emergency delivery of a Baby it is recommended that the new child is wrapped in a new newspaper a because it is sanitary and to keep the li'll tike warm. And who decides what is food safe anyway??? Some pencil neck named Poindexter?

'course....round here you can't even FIND paper grocery sacks and I sure wouldn't want to wrap my BBQ in plastic! :roll:

I know one thing they good for when it done and you wrap it in foil then put the meat in a grocery bag a very good insulator BTW no the glue not going to kill you. the fat in the meat will kill you before the damn glue will

Back