pepper help

LT72884

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Ello brethren. i have a uestion. i had t pick my anihiemstoday because the frost hit and tonight its supposed to be cold enough to damage them. i do not have enough time left for the green ones to turn red before the frost will get them. SO i have about 50 of them that are green. How do i save them for later? can green ones be dried? can they be froozen? if i freeze them, how should i do it? wrap in plastic wrap then in zip lock bags?

thanks guys

I would roast the green ones and then freeze em. If you freeze em fresh, they'll be mushy when you defrost them. By roasting em they will ready to use in a salsa etc when you defrost em. They'll be mushy as well, but at least they'll be roasted. Sometimes they turn red after they have been picked, but that's not a guarantee. They may turn red off of the vine, but they can also mold from the inside and spoil.

I was gonna say that they'd probably ripen if hung and left alone with good air circulation, but Bob would know more than me.

I doubt if they will dry by themselves.

Roast'um.Then put in ziplock bags with the skins on and pop them in the freezer.
When you want to use them - thaw, remove the roasted skins (they'll slip right off).
My wife's from NM and we make routine trips down for peppers.
Nothing like the smell of roasting green chile's.

P8030023.jpg

You could always chipotlefy them.I always go right from the garden to freeze on a cookie sheet then bag em.I'll food processor them (frozen or thawed) to add to salsa.Once they're chopped you can't tell except for the heat.

Fire roast them, then freeze them. I think it's easier to remove the skins
before you freeze them, but it works OK too, to remove the skin when you
thaw them out. You can easily fire roast them on any open flame, like in the
video below where I fire roast some Poblano peppers.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNKXJXy3D7Y&list=UUl4fYsyy-3RM2rPEBPJjr9A&index=12&feature=plcp"]Poblano Peppers, stuffed, and cooked on the grill. - YouTube[/ame]

sorry for late reply. im in school for 9 hours on thursday. Ok cool. ill have to try some methods. i put some on the dehydrator and they turned out ok. interesting but still good. I want to try and save them for stuffing and wrapping in bacon later. like giant abt's. if i freeze them and they turn mushy, that may be ok cuz im gonna wrap them in bacon and smoke. but i have never done this. haha. if i roast them and then freeze, can they be used for abt's later?

tahnks

Back