Mini wsm

TALEG8R BBQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Cant get er to heat up. K with some hickory chunks on the bowl @ the bottom. Doggy dish w holes over the bottom vent. Tamale pot insert placed in the middle of the barrel w a water pan sitting on that. Chucky on top rack. She's hovering between 155 & 165. Used minion method w both vents wide open. Been lit for an hr+. Help.

Did you cut the bottom or drill holes? Also what are you using for a diffuser is it too big in diameter? I originally drilled mine and ended up cutting the bottom out due to not enough heat up top

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Drilled holes in the bottom of the pot. Used the insert as a template. Using the insert as a defuser; so it's the same diameter as the pot. Is this my problem?

Air flow could be an issue, water pan could be hindering temps. Might be inaccurate thermometer. How large are the holes in the doggy dish? I'd want lots of flow through that section.

Some people have reported that only drilling holes in bottom of pot doesn't allow enough air flow for easy higher temps. Far fewer complaints from those who cut out the entire bottom.

I'd ditch the water pan, or at least run it dry, just wrapped in foil. Are you putting in boiling water or cold water? That'll hinder the heat up process quite a bit.

Folks who build a WSM style fire ring out of expanded metal seem to have an easier time of temp control, and longer burns. This allows air to the coals on all sides, instead of having coals resting on the side of the smokey joe base.

Burning lump, or a combo of lump and briqs will get you higher temps with ease. Could be wet briqs too, that's always an issue if the briqs are moist.

Pulled the insert defuser & water pan. Shot to 200. The doggy dish holes are 3/8" & all the way around. None on top. Using straight k brand new bag & dry. 5 or 6 hunks of hickory. I'll watch it & may need to cut the bottom out.....

Two things

1) air flow being blocked by the bowl

2) water in the bowl robbing your heat

All I have in mine is the steamer plate it will run any where from 150 - 325* for Hrs on end. My point is get rid of the water bowl you don't need it!

TALEG8R, Howdy;

Pulled the insert defuser & water pan. Shot to 200. The doggy dish holes are 3/8" & all the way around. None on top. Using straight k brand new bag & dry. 5 or 6 hunks of hickory. I'll watch it & may need to cut the bottom out.....

You need to make the area of the holes in the 'doggy dish' be equal or
greater then the area of the original holes at the bottom, or you're choaking it...

hank

So you have the weber smokey joe silver and added side vents to it???

I have the SJS, and added side dampers (which I haven't had to use) and drilled 3/4" holes (4 or 5 i think)in pet dish to block ash on bottom. I use a 10" terra cotta as diffuser and I can run just using the bottom vent anywhere 200-300 depending in what I am cooking and how much time I have.

Sounds like you need bigger holes in the doggy dish and no water pan

I cut the bottoms out of mine And Made a Couple SS dividers or / to contain the charcoal and I have a second set below to keep the btm vent clear ...I use minon method and depending on what Im cooking I change the Diffuser From SS plates to terra cotta pot base..With the SS Diffuser and the Burn in this pic I am at Like 420 degrees ...Same thing with Terra cotta about 300 Try different things ..These lil cookers Kick some serious Butts !1 No pork Intended !!!
DSC01465.jpg

DSC01466.jpg

How were the wind conditions? Any sort of breeze seems to suck the heat right out of mine.

I messed w it all afternoon. It was choked out at the bottom vents. Ended up taking the doggy dish out & move the coals out of the way. Did that several times..real pain. Temps ranged from 150 to 275. Gonna drill bigger holes in the bottom. Then cut it out if that doesn't work. Also, bigger doggy dish. At the end of the day, the chucky was awesome! Best one I've done. So.....really looking fwd to getting this thing dialed in. Thx all for your input.

Back