creekstone brisket

lazy butt

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Has anyone ever used a creekstone black angus brisket in a comp? Is it worth the money?

Has anyone ever used a creekstone black angus brisket in a comp? Is it worth the money?

Tried them 3 times last year. One of them was good quality and worth the money. The other two were not of good quality and not worth the money. I haven't used them since.

I got a nice one, called them to check the kill date and they assured me I could wet age it 30 to 40 days, aged it 30 days and when i opened it it was BAD...actually green ... . shame but i can't trust them . I have also heard of others with similar problems

Not for me either.had five cases to pick through in Vegas.we were also cooking for a vip dinner.not what I wanted in a comp brisket.the one I liked had a huge gash in the flat that went unseen until opening.

Yes, I have used them since last Fall. We used them at the Chest-to-Chest, when I was cooking with Double Trouble, and we finished well.

The ONLY issue I've had is that about 50% of the time the plastic packages have holes in them when they arrive (which I discover when thawed), and I have to immediately transfer and reseal them using my Weston 2300. I have no problem doing that, and in fact, I trust my own sealer more than most brisket cryopacs I find. I age my briskets, and have never had a "green" one, or one that went bad. If you have one go bad, it is either due to an undiscovered leaky (air transfer) package, or you're aging at too high of a temp.

In my first 2012 contest at North Platte NE, I finished 8th with one, and I have confidence that the aged ones I'll be using over the next few months will do just as well as any $140 Wagyu.

I would put Creekstone Master Chef Prime up against any other Prime Grade brisket on the market.

Just my $.02

I bought two cases in february. All 10 weighed 18lb average I scored 1st, 6th, 8th and two 12th,s in the five contests I've cooked in this year. I just ordered another case and these werent near a large -14-15lbs and the flats aren't near as thick. I'll still use them but when it comes to Brisket.......Trust Your Butcher!!!

We have cooked them a few times at contest and been very pleased!

I bought two cases in february. All 10 weighed 18lb average I scored 1st, 6th, 8th and two 12th,s in the five contests I've cooked in this year. I just ordered another case and these werent near a large -14-15lbs and the flats aren't near as thick. I'll still use them but when it comes to Brisket.......Trust Your Butcher!!!

I suggest that you share your feedback with Christine Tanner at Creekstone. Let them specifically know what you're looking for in your Master Prime briskets (and why you look for those characteristics) and she can hopefully carry that feedback on to the rest of the company. Their customer service has been great when I have shared an issue with them. They are trying to please their customers. You really can't beat free shipping on a Prime grade $80 brisket that averages around 15 lbs. I have only had one flat that wasn't thick enough for my liking... and that's out of 10 briskets so far this year.

I suggest that you share your feedback with Christine Tanner at Creekstone. Let them specifically know what you're looking for in your Master Prime briskets (and why you look for those characteristics) and she can hopefully carry that feedback on to the rest of the company. Their customer service has been great when I have shared an issue with them. They are trying to please their customers. You really can't beat free shipping on a Prime grade $80 brisket that averages around 15 lbs. I have only had one flat that wasn't thick enough for my liking... and that's out of 10 briskets so far this year.

There web site doesn't list free shipping (my bad....it does indeed say free shipping).

Good to hear the good comments I planned on picking up a couple.

I got one from them a month ago and it arrived frozen. I think when the meat is frozen it upps the chance that the cryo get pierced when they are packing the meat for shipping by wedging it into the stryo container. I resealed over the existing cryo and used mine within a week. I was not impress with the thickness of the flat, but other than that it was a nice brisket. I would say it was worth the money if you are having bad luck finding anything with your local resources.

From Christine at Creekstone:

"Thanks for sharing this and for your kind words on the forum! I was going to compose an answer but it looks like I am prohibited from doing so because it would be considered advertising.

Some of these guys mention buying them by the case rather than ordering direct from us. In those instances, it's going to be hard to address any issues as there are so many variables due to age, grade, cold chain management, etc.

We sat down a few weeks ago to address some of the other issues mentioned. Basically, we are pulling all of the briskets based on flat size first, total weight second so that should help address the flat size issue. So, if anyone is buying these by the case, the best ones have probably already been pulled off the line for our competition customers. We are also shipping them with gel packs rather than dry ice so they don't freeze, which should alleviate the issues you've experienced with the packaging. As always, Creekstone beef is consistent in flavor and tenderness and we won't be changing anything there!"

My $.02... if you're looking for quality briskets at a fair price for competitions, go for their "Master Prime" briskets. ...I order two at a time and have not been disappointed.

I've cooked only creekstone briskets for about 2 years now... Great product... Several calls

From Christine at Creekstone:

"Thanks for sharing this and for your kind words on the forum! I was going to compose an answer but it looks like I am prohibited from doing so because it would be considered advertising.

Some of these guys mention buying them by the case rather than ordering direct from us. In those instances, it's going to be hard to address any issues as there are so many variables due to age, grade, cold chain management, etc.

We sat down a few weeks ago to address some of the other issues mentioned. Basically, we are pulling all of the briskets based on flat size first, total weight second so that should help address the flat size issue. So, if anyone is buying these by the case, the best ones have probably already been pulled off the line for our competition customers. We are also shipping them with gel packs rather than dry ice so they don't freeze, which should alleviate the issues you've experienced with the packaging. As always, Creekstone beef is consistent in flavor and tenderness and we won't be changing anything there!"

My $.02... if you're looking for quality briskets at a fair price for competitions, go for their "Master Prime" briskets. ...I order two at a time and have not been disappointed.

So that's why supplier keeps handing me cases with 12lbers inside. Last year they were 18lbers before they started selling online to competitors.

Back