Sams Club vs Costco

Smoothsmoke

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
My Costco membership is expiring in a few weeks. I'm not sure whether to renew it or go to Sams Clubs. This is where you guys come in. Which of the two has better selection of meats? Thanks Brethren!

Costco for Tri-Tip, chicken and fish

Sam's Club for case chuck roast, brisket, pork ribs and butts...

Sorry...gotta have both in my book.

Yeah, I'm with Larry on this. I think Sam's has better Brisket, Costco has better Pork Butts and chicken, ribs are about the same, but Sam's has a lot more restaurant and catering gear available to non-business members that makes it my preferred first stop.

At the end of the day, I keep both memberships.

Costco is what we use....but we also have a rest. depot 5 min. away! I was never impressed with Sams Club. They always seemed to have rotting produce every time I was there. Several locations...
It made me wonder about other things ... just my .02 cents.

I prefer Costco. If you pay the $100/year for the Executive Membership, they give you a 2% refund on what you purchase. If your annual refund doesn't come to at least $100, they'll give you the difference, therefore it is free. So ... why wouldn't you belong?

I wish I could get a CostCo membership, but they don't accept the Visa Logo'ed check card from my back (accepted everywhere Visa is my furry patootie!!) and I doubt I've ever used a paper check through this account. Not even sure I have any...

Actually Costco accepts all DEBIT cards, so get with your bank and establish a PIN #.
I like Costco for ribs, tritip, sirloins, and those huge salman filets, I haven't been to a Sams Club in years.

I wish I could get a CostCo membership, but they don't accept the Visa Logo'ed check card from my back (accepted everywhere Visa is my furry patootie!!) and I doubt I've ever used a paper check through this account. Not even sure I have any...

I think you need to call them to verify. I use my Visa Debit card there all the time. They won't take regular visa "credit" cards but Debit cards they will (have to use a pin). I think it's a deal they have with American Express.

As for Sams, Sams Club = Walmart. Walmart is one of the biggest reasons our manufacturing sector (and who knows how many jobs) is all but gone. I'm not going to get in to all the reasons again (do a search) but the stronger Walmart gets, the stronger China gets. I won't give that freaking company one penny of my hard earned money. That's all I'm going to say on that subject.:mad2:

Bartstop

We don't have a Sam's close, so it is a no-brainer to have the Costlyco membership. Fortunately we have a Cash & Carry for the meats Costlyco never seems to carry up here (spares, full packer brisket, and lately pork butts). Nice thing about the Cash & Carry is there are no membership fees.

Have you tried SMARTCO, this one at 10935 Firestone Blvd. may be close to
you. If not there are others in your area. Where you live, it may be
called "Smart and Final".

They are a smaller version of Sam's and Costco; but they do not have
any membership fees. Like any store, you need to know your prices, to
get the best value for your money.

Last edited:
Only Sam's here. No Costco even close.:tsk:

Well, i just checked and closest one is 145 miles away.

Last edited:
I'm the opposite...only Costco here and no Sam's nearby. I have the Executive membership and it pays for itself every year and then some. I love costco meat in general, but their butts are de-boned and I have never seen a brisket there. Great for chicken an ribs though. AND they carry PRIME steaks! Nuthing like a prime ribeye every now and then!

I also shop at a place called Smart and Final...they have brisket, ribs and sometimes pork butts...and lots of restaurant supplies.

I used to go to Sam's, haven't had a membership for about three years now because I just don't like Wal-Mart and its affiliates that much.

I've heard great things about Costco anytime I hear anything about them, mostly from my wife, but have never been to one myself. The closest one to my house is 60 miles away.

Sams Club is a subsidiary of Wal Mart. Wal Mart is a subsidiary of The Peoples Republic Of China.
Costco! No Brainer:p

Is it forbidden to ask the butchers at Costco if they can do something a little special, like a bone-in pork butt? I am new to Costco and have never tried asking for a favor like that like I might at my local grocery store.

The costco in my area has better quality beef, they even carry premium. Sams club dont! I only have my sams membership though. What they do have is always top quality. I do wish I had the cosco membership.

I have a Costco and Sams club each 1 block away, one north and one south but I prefer the Smart and Final 1 mi east... gotta find something to my west now.

I prever costco over sams but smart n final over both for meats.

Back