3-2-1 on a Fatty!!

Glad you liked it Elkhound. Please head over to Cattle Call and introduce yourself!

Good idea on the fatties. Gonna try that later this week.

Another thing to try. I mixed a 12 ouce fattie in with lb of ground beef then formed into burgers. One batch sage, one batch original..... Then cooked them in the hot spot next to the firebox opening. Awesome burgers!

BBQchef33 said:
Another thing to try. I mixed a 12 ouce fattie in with lb of ground beef then formed into burgers. One batch sage, one batch original..... Then cooked them in the hot spot next to the firebox opening. Awesome burgers!

Hmmm...a fatty burger. Sounds interesting...very interesting. 8)

BBQchef33 said:

I posted A Jimmy Dean fatty burger some time ago but I be damned if I know where. It had powdered mustard Onion, Worchestire sauce. Good Chit. Relist tonight if there is interest.

brdbbq said:
BBQchef33 said:

I posted A Jimmy Dean fatty burger some time ago but I be damned if I know where. It had powdered mustard Onion, Worchestire sauce. Good Chit. Relist tonight if there is interest.

Interest.

Interest.

Interest.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I can't believe I've never tried one of these things before. I'm going straight home tonight and throw a few on. At least I will know the correct method to cook 'em now! It sounds awesome!!

BTW, what the fark happened to Handsome Jack?
So I'm outside earlier checkin' on my pepper plants, when I get this strange buzzing in my head that someone is talking about Handsome Jack! I should have known it was Bill! It' not your fault you're addicted Bro' - I put a little "crack" in every batch of sauce. Keeps 'em coming back for more...
Saw a post in another section wanting to know about sauce production. Will try to reply to that, and give the latest news on Handsome Jack as soon as I can.

As for the best way to start some fatties - I must insist on using only the Orange Zig-Zags...

Smoke 'em if ya got 'em

I was getting creative today, so I did a 3-2-1 variation on a Fatty

3 hours in the smoke, spraying with everything else.

2 hours wrapped in foil, sprayed before wrapping

1 hour in the cooler.

Got about 20 minutes of the 1 hour in the cooler left, but when tranfering from grill to cooler, I made a trail of juice pouring out the side.

Smelled AWESOME.

Will post results in 25 minutes :p

Anyone care to explain this in a little more detail..... IE, what is Spraying, and do you really smoke for 3 hours and then wrap in foil for 2 more hours... that seems odd, then you put it in a cooler. I WANT TO EAT IT!!!!

Does this method work for different "sized" fatties.

I used 2lbs of sausage and my wife only used one.... so, mine is TWICE the size. Do I need to adjust the time accordingly or does this method take out the need to do so.

Also, what are some of the other things people spray on the fatties before wrapping and is it necessary. i have heard apple juice

Anyone care to explain this in a little more detail..... IE, what is Spraying, and do you really smoke for 3 hours and then wrap in foil for 2 more hours... that seems odd, then you put it in a cooler. I WANT TO EAT IT!!!!

Sorry Bengal, missed this.

As you can see from the early posts, the 3-2-1 spare rib method was applied to a fatty (1# regular chubb or 2# extended Jimmy Dean Costco chubb, not stuffed) out of pure boredom and experimentation about 4 years ago. I never have 6 hours anymore to cook

Spraying was spraying with juice of some sort (apple, cherry juicebox, etc) because I also had butts and ribs on, so I was spraying everything.

The one hour in the cooler was "resting" only because I was already resting butts, and just threw racks of ribs in the cooler, so it was really just holding everything until dinner time.

By all means, DIG IN!!

Nowadays, I will do 5 or 6 one # chubbs for 2 or 3 hours at 240*, then wrap in foil and toss in the cooler. Serve one or two at dinner, then cryo-suck the rest.

By all means, experiment with stuffing them, without, wrapping, or not, rolling in rub, etc.

Don't go too much by time, but rather have temp be your guide.

Hope this helps.

Hi there,
Just a quick question, is the 3-2-1 method for ribs still excepted for true smokers and can it be used for baby backs?

I'm very new and want to learn as much as I can.

Thanks

The "method" is just a guideline, thats for sure.

But babyback you might want to go 2-1-1 or 2-2-1 (from things I've read here.

Personally, I stopped the "1" in all my rib cooks, and stopped watching the clock.

When the meat begins to pull back from the individual bones, whether spares or babyback, then I wrap for 2 hours and throw in the cooler.

I do baby's almost exclusively, and stopped watching the clock, other than as a guide to "go check" the progress.

Good luck Von

Back