View Single Post
Old 01-21-2014, 09:13 PM   #7
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Just like building a home, it is only as good as the foundation it is built upon. In my personal opinion the roll / bread is the foundation of any sandwich. Any bread or roll will work, but a better roll can make a better sandwich.

In the end it is what the customer wants vs what the vendor wishes to pay, somewhere in between lies the compromise of your selection. Raising the price of the sandwich to include the cost of a nice brioche roll in the poor section of town probably wouldn't work. But it might be something the middle class in another section would prefer.

Bottom line is to know your customers and target their needs. I am sure they would all rather have a steak, but would they all be willing to pay the price for it?

When catering I can surmise the level of the customer and suggest accordingly to what I think the customer wants, let them choose and adjust the costs if necessary.

I've never managed a restaurant, but I imagine the same can hold true, offer it on a different roll for a little more to cover the expense and overhead of the choice. The roll would probably have to used for something else as well or it wouldn't pay to have them on hand.

IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote