Question for the engineers and smoker-builders out there...

Southern Home Boy

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I'm thinking of building an insulated, vertical cabinet smoker and was considering doing it as a reverse-flow system. The thought is to have the firebox directly under the cabinet just like a normal system, but to have the heat and smoke come up one side and exit at the top and then have the draw for the chimney near the bottom of the cabinet. That way, the heat and smoke would cycle from the top to the bottom and then be drawn back up and out of the chimney.

Is there a fundamental problem with this approach that I'm not thinking of?

Any thoughts or insight is appreciated.

I am an Engineer, although Electrical. The value of a reverse flow smoker is that the heat flows in an insulated chamber under the food to establish and even temp before the food is ever exposed to it. The food is then presented and even temperature of heat passing through it. Then, generally, the air is then evacuated directly above the entry point. So, the air goes in nearly a circle.

I built a bottom fed stick burner and extended the exhaust to a couple of inches above the bottom of the pit. Works great. Exhausting the cooler air(though still much hotter than ambient air) at the bottom rather than the hotter air at the top is more efficient.

Back