Rub Question

ChetPunisher

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm planning on injecting my pork butts today and smoke tomorrow. What is the consensus, should I rub and let sit over night or rub in the morning before I put in the smoker?

Thanks.

I inject and rub the night before and put some more rub on before going out to light the smoker, or not depends.

^^^Cool pic of Darth and a Shiner
I inject a couple hours ahead, and rub an hour before putting in smoker.

I used to do my pork butts overnight. But now I do it Before I go setup the smoker and fire. Ends up being about 1-2 hours before it goes on the smoker.

I just got the feeling that the salt in the rub was doing something overnight (curing?) and my bark was just not happening correctly. Thanks for the replies everybody.

The salts will slowly cure the meat, but overnight it shouldn't cause a huge issue. Also it shouldn't effect your bark. It would probably help create bar easier as the salt helps the meat form the pelical so that the smoke can start sticking too it. There are other factors that are keeping your bark from forming.

On a side not, you can typically get a killer smoke ring if you rub the butt overnight.

Back