Gravity fed smoker transport ?

Concept Que

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
This is probably a dumb question, but I would really like a gravity fed smoker (mostly leaning toward Assassin), but was wondering for all of you that own them . . .
How easy or difficult are they to transport?
We would transport it in our toy hauler, but would I have to worry about anything cracking/breaking/falling off, etc.?
Also, just the ease of rolling it into the trailer? My hubby would be the one doing all the hauling so if it's gonna be too much of a pain (which he feels hauling the BGE is for fear of breakage) then he might not go for it, even though he is the main beneficiary of what comes out of the smoker :wink:
Another part to this is the wheel base - I'd really like to get a smoker without having to upgrade to the pneumatic wheels.
My family loves to camp and we usually go to the state beaches that have the hard packed dirt for campsites. I'd really like to take the smoker on our camping trips, would the standard wheels have any problems?
I'd appreciate your thoughts and opinions
Thanks

I don't know the weight on the Assasin but gravity fed cookers are typically heavy. If your going to be rolling it on any thing other then hard surfaces the pneumatic tires would be a must. As far as breaking cracking etc I think these cookers are damn tuff. They are built from steel so unless something really goofy happens they are pretty tough.

What Coz said. I had a Stumps GF223 and it weighed darn near 500lbs. I did not have pneumatic tires and wish I had. If you want to move it on anything other than concrete/blacktop, I would go with pneumatic tires.

I own a 28 and can get it into my trailer by myself. As already stated, it's not going anywhere off of a hard surface without pneumatic tires! I carry a couple sheets of plywood with me in case I have to roll it out onto grass, dirt, or gravel. UPS dropped my first attempt at an Assassin and all that happened was the thermometer broke of of the door......they are built to last!

I own a 28 and can get it into my trailer by myself. As already stated, it's not going anywhere off of a hard surface without pneumatic tires! I carry a couple sheets of plywood with me in case I have to roll it out onto grass, dirt, or gravel. UPS dropped my first attempt at an Assassin and all that happened was the thermometer broke of of the door......they are built to last!

So you have the regular wheels, but use plywood when needed? That would be a cheaper option, I'm just trying to keep the costs a little lower when thinking about the shipping charge to SoCal. Although I guess I can also have the opposite attitude of "already spending that much $$ don't take any shortcuts"

I'd think that unloading a gravity fed pit into a toyhauler would take alot of effort. The toyhaulers that I see around here are pretty high off the ground with a reasonably steep ramp. I use a winch to put mine into a cargo trailer but it can be done with two people. Maybe cook on the ramp door so it doesn't have to be unloaded at camp?

Holy frijoles that's heavy. thank you all for the info - much appreciated

Does anyone have any pics or details about a pneumatic tire swap on an Assassin?

What size tires are required?

Thanks for any Info !

If you are open to a smaller gravity feed cooker, check out our SS-3, it is lighter and easier to move around. Still gravity feed and built tough, but not as big and bulky to move around. Weighs a little north of 400 lbs.

I wouldn't do pneumatic tires....if they lost air or compressed during transport there would be A 650lb battering ram floating around.

Back