• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Team names and Bio's??

swamprb

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
OK-

I login to the KCBS site to update my bio and Midnight Ramblers has been deleted. I try to re-enter the name and it shifts to Left Hand Smoke where JD has listed me as a Team member.

I have competed solo as Midnight Ramblers since 2007 and a KCBS member as long, apparently I am not able to keep my solo team and be listed as a team member on another.

Whats up with that? I guess it wouldn't be a big deal if we had a Family Membership! But I pay $30 for an Individual Membership in my name and would appreciate being able to list my solo team.

Anyone else in this same boat?

Yep...me! :mad: I started as SouthPaw BBQ (you know this already) and when I added "Left Hand Smoke"...SouthPaw went away...just like Midnight Ramblers did for you when I had you added as a team mate.

I would have them remove your name from LHS and I'll put you in on the bio section. As far as SouthPaw is concerned I guess I'll have to get another membership...it seems odd that you can only be part of one team per membership. :roll:

Call the KCBS office, guys. I'm sure they can help you get straightened out.

I don't think it will be as easy as just calling up there. Notice how many teams are there now? Randomly click on some - many team pages are not complete - simply list the team name and cook names in all caps - just like the Bullsheet. I think team names and cooks are automatically being fed to the site through a database.

Brian, does your Bullsheet say Left Hand Smoke or Midnight Ramblers?

The programmer probably found a way to complete what KCBS asked for, unfortunately neither the thought of a member completing on more than 1 team or non-KCBS members on the team were considered doing the coding process. I think it's an innocent oversight.I think a coding tweak is in order. Simply add another area for KCBS team members to list "additional team members".

Could it be?
This programming change might actually be part of something larger like online team standings and listing of KCBS points - possibly listing teams past events and finishes on the team pages - thus the reason to add each team with the member names. Seriously - how cool would that be? (With a link from the homepage standings) This may be why a person cant be listed for more than 1 team - then the database may not necessarily know which team to give the points to.

Last edited:

Did that and got a reply that you can only be listed under one team bio.

I suppose rumors of our bromance made its way to KC! :evil:

This dosen't make any sense-I never changed my team name on my membership-JD edited his and added me as a team member. Its not like KCBS is hot n' heavy here in PNWBAland, but I would like this with my membership.

Did you compete in 09 as the Midnight Ramblers?

Yes, I did three PNWBA and one Backyard events as Midnight Ramblers.
1 GC, 1 RGC, 3rd Place and a 4th Overall in the Backyard solo, in addition to Left Hand Smoke

I noticed that there is a Plowboys and a Plowboys', oddly, one has Todd on it, the other has Randy. But, neither has both.

Are PNWBA events sanctioned by KCBS?

None that we've cooked so far...I think there is only one PNWBA event that is KCBS sanctioned.

I e-mailed Carolyn Wells about it and got the same answer Brian did. Only one team per membership. I'll just add him in the bio section of Left Hand Smoke...that way he can still be listed with KCBS as Midnight Ramblers.

So far I'm not feeling any need to renew my membership...it's not like it's doing me any favors...:roll: Seriously...what are the benefits?

I noticed that there is a Plowboys and a Plowboys', oddly, one has Todd on it, the other has Randy. But, neither has both.

Pullin' and Pullin. They changed my team members. That's jacked up.

I did...I got some bad info...it's all in here... http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75924

Here was my post on the subject...apparently Kay was misinformed as well...

I just checked our team bio...they took out swamprb's name...there's a toll free number to call...gonna give it a shot. :mad:

Update...just got off the phone with Kay @ KCBS (very helpful lady btw). According to her you you can have KCBS members listed on your team even if they are listed on their own or other team(s). She said there should be an area to "add team members" on the team bio edit page. There is not. When I told her this she said it was a "Dawn" thing and that she is out of the office until Monday.

Update #2...got a call back from Kay @ KCBS...she now has the power to change team member information...but...according to her...it can only be done through KCBS. Give her a call...800-963-5227. BTW...Brian is now back on the team member list for "Left Hand Smoke"...Thanks Kay!

Pullin' and Pullin. They changed my team members. That's jacked up.

Ask Randy how he registered himself with KCBS (he can look at the Bullsheet). I'm guessing one of you registered as Pullin and the other is Pullin'. If my database suspicion is correct, your fix is easy. After a call and the next data upload the incorrect page will go away and the two of you will be listed on the same page.

You see, I thought Todd and Randy had figured out some clever way around this whole mess and have their names on nearly identical team names listed.

What if I add Todd to Midnight Ramblers? There goes Pork Pullin' Plowboys!

I can add Boondoggle too!

The only KCBS event I've cooked I teamed up with Butts & Racks to form Midnight Butts!

No big deal, but if its happening to us, its gonna be an issue with others.

Brian, I agree that a programming change may be needed. I'm just stating what I think has happened and why.

I really think MMA is setting the team pages up to do something cool this season. If they are linking the pages up to the database, the team pages will be automatically able to reflect past results and points.

It looks like the programming was set up based on Member Name (and number), then Team Name - thus, only listing KCBS members and allowing each member to only be listed once. With a number of teams having very similar names, it looks like member name was the best way to make sure the right team got the appropriate points. Unless each team is assigned a separate number then member number (or something to indicate each team in the database) something's gotta give.

How would you list another established team to be part of yours? If my suspicions are correct, I think that would happen from a membership start/renewal level.

**I think its taken care of?**

Brian, I agree that a programming change may be needed. I'm just stating what I think has happened and why.

I really think MMA is setting the team pages up to do something cool this season. If they are linking the pages up to the database, the team pages will be automatically able to reflect past results and points.

It looks like the programming was set up based on Member Name (and number), then Team Name - thus, only listing KCBS members and allowing each member to only be listed once. With a number of teams having very similar names, it looks like member name was the best way to make sure the right team got the appropriate points. Unless each team is assigned a separate number then member number (or something to indicate each team in the database) something's gotta give.

How would you list another established team to be part of yours? If my suspicions are correct, I think that would happen from a membership start/renewal level.

I didn't do anything. JD added my name to the Left Hand Smoke bio, and Midnight Ramblers vanished from the KCBS team list. When I logged in to the site and tried to reclaim the name it took me to Left Hand Smoke and would not let me enter anything into the Bios.
The Bullsheet is addressed to me and Midnight Ramblers.

Dawn contacted me from KCBS and straightened the thing out and I'm back up as Midnight Ramblers BBQ, and JD has Left Hand Smoke under his name with his South Paw BBQ as a link and they are working on being able to add more team members to the pages.

I added you and Rhana to the bio section of LHS...you're back on the team...:wink:

TOY is based on the head cooks membership number. So if another person is acting head cook you still need to identify the "real" head cook to get the points. When they started compiling the TOY for 2009 and found all these name problems, etc they went to member number and it was posted on a lot fo boards at the time.

Back