heat below or above? whats best for steak

LT72884

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Im going to be making a cooking grate that sits above the 22.5 weber cooking grate by 2.5 inches or so. i will either place the charcoal on the NEW grate and cook the steaks under it or place the charcoal on the old cooking grate and the steaks above it. whats best?

thanks

sorry, but i'm trying to picture this in my mind and i just don't get the "above" concept with charcoal?

the charcoal will be above the food. imagine putting a chimney of lit charcoal above a steak on a cooking grate. But at a much larger level

You won't be getting smoke from the dripping juices and fat so the flavor profile will be different. A bit like broiling. You also won't get any wood smoke rising.

Won't ash drop down onto the meat?

I do not think coals above the meat is feasible at all... To many things to go wrong. Unless you like the flavor of Ash...

hmm, interesting. i have used a charcoal chimney before above a steak and no issues, haha. well, then i will keep food above the charcoal.

yes, the idea was to try the broiler method. i am curious to as if the heat on top or bottom matters.

Coal above will make an oven in effect, not so much a broiler.
You will need to cover the coals to ensure the heat doesn't simply radiate upward.
Not a fan.

Aint this some farkin chit! :mad2:

Attachments

• screen-capture-1151.jpg
    screen-capture-1151.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 112
Great idea!!! and I vote coals above.

Ever since I cooked a t-bone the "Alton" way I've never looked back. It's the most amazing way of cooking a steak.

One thing to note, you don't cook the steak under the coals for the whole cook. After searing it for ~2mins a side you finish it on top of the coals.

BTW, another method is to cook the steak right on the coals. Done this before, it was fantastic, and very caveman like.

Great idea!!! and I vote coals above.

Ever since I cooked a t-bone the "Alton" way I've never looked back. It's the most amazing way of cooking a steak.

One thing to note, you don't cook the steak under the coals for the whole cook. After searing it for ~2mins a side you finish it on top of the coals.

BTW, another method is to cook the steak right on the coals. Done this before, it was fantastic, and very caveman like.

ah yes, the ol sicilian way that they do in italy. I have not tried that yet. I guess with the modded cooking grate, i can do both ways. haha. i just modded the weber to be a smoker BUT i will be able to use the entire cooking grate. i took a piece of expanded metal and made a 13 inch diameter charcoal basket. fill it almost to the top, place some lit charcoal and then cover with a foiled pizza stone. boom, a make shift way of slow cooking but being able to utilize the entire cooking surface. or at least i hope thats how it is going to work.

thanx guys.

Matt

Back