• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Competition Meat

pizzakngjr

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am thinking of getting my feet wet in competition next year (2011), and I have sent this question to KCBS and not recieved a reply back, so I will throw it out to all the brethren brothers and sisters.

I have a good friend who's family owns a cattle ranch locally, and has agreed to provide any brisket I need for competition. 100% Angus all-natural grass fed. Since he will be providing it, it will not be packaged for "retail sale"

I know that it doesnt have to be in original store bought packaging and we can prep before competition, but I cannot find any KCBS rules that state the meat in question has to come from a commercial or online retailer.

Would it be allowed?

We've never had to provide proof of origin to any KCBS contest rep for any contest. The local health departments, most notably, those in the state of New Mexico, have insisted on evidence that the meat was purchased from a USDA approved retail or wholesale facility.

My humble opinion would be yes, you could use the meat.

See thats the part that wouldn't make sense to me and has me confused....If it dosent have to be in orginal packaging if I trimmed at home, I wouldn't have the evidence with me anyway. Would I bring the original store bought packaging and receipt with me anyway? Yeah probably, as a cover my tail.

So KCBS may allow it but local health department could DQ it if it was inspected by them?

Grey area?

The people in New Mexico have asked for receipts as proof. Not like that really proves anything but it's what they have asked for.

See thats the part that wouldn't make sense to me and has me confused....If it dosent have to be in orginal packaging if I trimmed at home, I wouldn't have the evidence with me anyway. Would I bring the original store bought packaging and receipt with me anyway? Yeah probably, as a cover my tail.

So KCBS may allow it but local health department could DQ it if it was inspected by them?

Grey area?

How often you going to New Mexico ? We have competed for only a couple years Mostly Wisconsin, Acouple in Michigan and KC we have never been asked for anything other then showing the inspector that the meat is safely kept as far as temp and its not seasoned or injected etc. I cant recall hearing of any other then the NM one being questioned.Not saying it doesnt happen but ? I read a bunch and dont see where the folks that are doing lots of traveling say anything about that when they are talking about different comps. Just telling guys about the one VQ mentioned is about it.

I am thinking of getting my feet wet in competition next year (2011), and I have sent this question to KCBS and not recieved a reply back, so I will throw it out to all the brethren brothers and sisters.

I have a good friend who's family owns a cattle ranch locally, and has agreed to provide any brisket I need for competition. 100% Angus all-natural grass fed. Since he will be providing it, it will not be packaged for "retail sale"

I know that it doesnt have to be in original store bought packaging and we can prep before competition, but I cannot find any KCBS rules that state the meat in question has to come from a commercial or online retailer.

Would it be allowed?
Most who compete trim the meat so it's not in the store wrapper. I used to keep my store wrappers no one ever asked.

What does it hurt to keep a piece of paper and a price tag just in case? Ya never know!

KCBS does not require the receipt. However as pointed out different States and even counties/cities within states can insist on you proving it's been purchased from an approved facility. Do your homework on the contests you want to enter, ask the organizers if they had a requirement the previous year and ask for comments here from those who cooked it last year.

I was told that Meat is supposed to be USDA inspected, BUT I just looked at the rules guide, and while it does reference 'labeling' - that could be a private packers label.... I dont see anything in the rules that talk about USDA inspection being manditory.

I pretrim and re-vacuum seal. The most I've had was a guy who shot the meat with an infrared thermo. Most other people are just happy its on ice. I've never even thought about keeping the tag.

I pretrim and re-vacuum seal. The most I've had was a guy who shot the meat with an infrared thermo. Most other people are just happy its on ice. I've never even thought about keeping the tag.
I do the same... In fact I'll start trimming in January so that I don't have to do it in July!

I don't see what kind of benefit it would be for me to show an inspector a receipt from 6 months prior that may be or may not be for the same brisket that has been trimmed and repackaged...

Just sayin...

Back