Wild caught Sockeye Salmon smoked

S

Stevesonfire!

Been wanting to do this for a while now. Sam's always has a great selection of seafood and the salmon always looks fresh, never frozen. So I picked up a 2 lbs filet, skin on.
Brined the filet for about an hour. Split it in half, put some lemon juice, lemon pepper, dill weed and butter on it. Threw it on the smoker, used hickory at about 150 degrees for about an hour then cranked the heat up to about 225 for another hour. The first hour and fifteen was on foil, then directly on the grate to crisp up the skin a little.
Unfortunately, I didn't get any pics of the finished product which was awesome :bow:. I'll be doing it again and try to remember to get the full sequence.

As always, I start my fire with some briquettes,

downsized_08150013511.jpg

Then throw on some well seasoned hickory.

downsized_08150013581.jpg

After the wood burns down to embers, the wild sockeye goes on.....

downsized_0815001812a1.jpg

downsized_08150018121.jpg

I swear they were real purty when they were done! Got great reviews too from my brother, his daughter and my wife and son. I loved it too! :thumb:

I bet they were good, but that sure seems like a long time to cook fish. I cook my cedar plank salmon for about 10 minutes at 450.

I thought so too, however, at 150 degrees on the foil and then 225 for about 30-45 minutes, it finished very moist and tasty!

Thanks Brethren.... I'll be doing it again soon.. :thumb:

:clap2::thumb:

LOVE smoked salmon. Honestly one of my personal FAVORITE things that comes off of the smoker, or at least it sure seems that way while I'm eating it!!:becky:

Back