New uds build.... First timer recipes??

acbaldwi

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Basically I'm new to all if this so let me apologize first for any ignorance...

I'm building a uds as we speak, am about 50% complete and was hoping to fire her up for a first time smoke next Sunday ( 8 days from now)

Anyways.....

Any thoughts on a semi fool proof first timer recipe?

Chicken? Ribs? Pork? Etc .... It all sounds good

TIA for any advice and or suggestions....

Aaron

Welcome to the forum Aaron and congratulations on the new UDS. Chicken is great on the drum, also fatties. Good luck with your first cook!

Pork butt. Really hard to screw that one up. They are so forgiving.

Welcome to the forum!

Pork but it shall be I guess.... For some reason the fattie seems deadly lol

Welcome and enjoy your UDS.

Chicken or fatties. Both are pretty quick, easy and taste great. Pork ribs or a butt takes longer, but certainly a good first cook. A UDS is pretty forgiving to cook with. Lots of great advice here at the Brethren.

My son attends the School of Mines. We love eating at Woody's Wood Fired Pizza. :-D

You're gonna love it.

I think the easiest thing to cook is chicken thighs or leg quarters. Rub them down with mayo and coat with your favorite rub. very tough to overcook them.

If this is your first time cooking on it. my guess is that you will not be able to refrain from peeking at the food. So you may want to do some finger food as well like chicken wings, ABT's or even just put some bacon strips on the top rack with some rub and brown sugar.
That way you will have some snacks while you are waiting for the butt to finish.

Pork Shoulder Picnic with GrillMates Applewoid Rub over KBB n Hickory Chunks at 280-300* for 8-9-10 hrs till Bone Wiggles then let it rest 1 hr then pull or shred it and mix in a lil Sweet Baby Rays Sauce. Pile high on a soft Bun or Roll of your liking and enjoy.

I don't get the health fear of fatties. Most of the grease drips away, a slice it equivalent to a slice of sausage (and a slice of bacon if wrapped), plus whatever you stuff it with. It is no less healthy than a well rounded breakfast depending on how much you eat and what you stuff it with.

Thanks everyone,

think ill try smittys recipe and try not to peek at it while it goes :)

should i turn it at any point in the cook?

mop it?

TIA

Thanks everyone,

think ill try smittys recipe and try not to peek at it while it goes :)

should i turn it at any point in the cook?

mop it?

TIA

Ill spray it with Apple Juice / Apple cider Vinegar mix if it starts looking dry about half way thru cook. I put fat side down towards heat and I remove skin before putting on rub. I'll peek at it at 5-6 hr mark, may spritz then look at 8 hr mark and start check if bone wiggles/ probe tender then every 45 minutes or so. If if looks to be getting charred or too dark at any time you can wrap it in butchers or parchment paper. Bone should wiggle like a loose tooth and pop out if you apply much pressure then let it sit for 1 hr on
Plate or tray on counter before pulling/ shredding. :thumb:

I like BBQ sauce on the thin side - you can laddel it- so ill thin Sweet Baby Rays just a hair with water or Apple Juice but you may prefer it as is out of the bottle.

Basically I'm new to all if this so let me apologize first for any ignorance...

I'm building a uds as we speak, am about 50% complete and was hoping to fire her up for a first time smoke next Sunday ( 8 days from now)

Anyways.....

Any thoughts on a semi fool proof first timer recipe?

Chicken? Ribs? Pork? Etc .... It all sounds good

TIA for any advice and or suggestions....

Aaron

Aaron, you're in good company here. I just finished my uds this weekend, I cooked a couple fatties (nekkid) for breakfast and they seasoned the UDS very well. I figured what the heck, I'll let it run all day (I filled the charcoal basket all the way). No joke the uds held the temp at 275 for hours and hours and hours! Hell I cooked a chicken on it almost 7 hours after starting it and it was still cruising! Finally shut it down after midnight almost 12 hours after starting the coals!!! So cool!

I know I am a day late and a dollar short but figured I would chime in to.

Like others said, go with fatties and the pork butt. To season mine, I tossed on fatties and some kielbalsa sausage. The sausage was cut up memphis style with cheese crackers and pepperchinis. The fatties were dang near gone before they made it in the house.

The reason I chose the fatties to season is obvious. The kielbalsa was just an added bonus if it all went well and if it went wrong, I only ruined a few $$ in meat.

Thanks everyone... seasoning the smoker as eek speak.... will fire up the butt tomorrow... its about 10 lbs.... got a fattie too lol YOLO.....

so just a guess but 10-12 hours for the cook tomorrow??

My uds is hovering about 241 right now with just one hole open at the bottom... so probably the 10-12 hour range....makes for an early morning tomorrow.....

Chicken halves. Douse with hot sauce and hit with your favorite rub. Make enough for leftovers:mod:....for pizza, Alfredo,burritos- now I'm getting hungry again

Back