Help with mods on WSM 18.5

cpot4291

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Im looking into getting the Pitmaster IQ 110 with a Maverick 733 or instead of getting that set up maybe getting a DigiQ with the Viper fan? What are your guys opinions on which is worth it more an what not? ?Any other suggestions also let me know thanks!

I just use the 732 but do not do a lot of overnight cooks. The temp is so steady on the WSM I don't have a need to regulate the temp with an ATC.

I run the Digi Q on both my 18 and 22 and my temps are so rock solid it's like an oven. One thing I like about the DigiQ is that it can bring the temp down if you overshoot for whatever reason, I'm not sure the IQ can do that.

My homemade Jimmy smoker is similar and it runs fine w/out the IQ even though i've tried it just to try it. My advice is unless you're doing overnight cooks don't even bother....even if you have to run errands on a Saturday just adjust your vents and go about your business.

Now if you 're doing all night cooks the IQ will manage your fire just fine.

Instead of getting the 110 and a Maverick, just get the 120 and it will give you more options within one unit.

I have the 18.5 wsm and do alot of overnight cooks! I have the cyberQ and it works great at maintaining temp steadily. Sure beats getting outta bed to go outside and check the temp status. :thumb:I also just installed a nomex gasket set to further seal any leaks, with my cajun bandit door I put on last year, which is way better than original. Only downside to cyberq is occasional the interference I get (may look into a better router sometime). I also did the temp probe eyelet mod with the lamp post trick! Awesome!

BTW... it's so nice... I feel like I'm cheating!!! LOL!

Last edited:
the cyber q is wireless, the digi q is not. I just wake up at night, go to the window with my ipod touch and launch the cyberq app/web page to check my temps. :becky:

the cyber q is wireless, the digi q is not. I just wake up at night, go to the window with my ipod touch and launch the cyberq app/web page to check my temps. :becky:
Just to put things in perspective i look over to the night stand at my Maverick.

Now I can't check the grills temps from the mall but don't have any desire too.

:thumb: That is nice! I got my stuff from firecraft, simply because they had free shipping over $99. Was cheaper than from bbqguru... go figure! I just wanted just one device for all and not multiple to fiddle with and worrying about getting it wet on rainy days.

:thumb: That is nice! I got my stuff from firecraft, simply because they had free shipping over $99. Was cheaper than from bbqguru... go figure! I just wanted just one device for all and not multiple to fiddle with and worrying about getting it wet on rainy days.
LOL... yea i gotcha. I just don't use my ATC that often, heck i don't use my ET 732 that often either.

More often than not anymore it's gonna be the cheap non wireless Maverick or the instant read therm. Overnight cooks i'll do the ATC and Mav is the exception.

another factor for me was hanging the iq on the handle or whatever nearby. I have no table or anything nearby, and especially for rainy cooks, which for some reason only happens when I decide to do overnight cooks,... it NEVER fails!

Seriously, we can have a perfect week, but the Saturday I want to bbq, it will call for rain. :mad2:

The fan being built in, not sure how long it would last to pouring rain, without an enclosure of some type, and one that would be vented, to suck air from. I saw one constructed with pvc and rubbermaid, didn't want to hassle. CyberQ has done me well, as I was one of the first that ever had this puppy, when it was released.:clap2:

another factor for me was hanging the iq on the handle or whatever nearby. I have no table or anything nearby, and especially for rainy cooks, which for some reason only happens when I decide to do overnight cooks,... it NEVER fails!

Seriously, we can have a perfect week, but the Saturday I want to bbq, it will call for rain. :mad2:

The fan being built in, not sure how long it would last to pouring rain, without an enclosure of some type, and one that would be vented, to suck air from. I saw one constructed with pvc and rubbermaid, didn't want to hassle. CyberQ has done me well, as I was one of the first that ever had this puppy, when it was released.:clap2:
I get the thing about the rain. I made this box minus the battery pack for my IQ.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lS5L7l9VZLU"]Build This BBQ Electronics Rain Box For Your Thermometer, iQue, Guru, Stoker! - YouTube[/ame]

Not sure why a well-seasoned WSM needs any sort of fan system - mine will chug along at 250°*all night long. I never get up to check on it and it's virtually always within ±15° of the temp I had to coasting at before bed.

Well I was originally looking Into just getting a maverick and a pitmaster iq 110 but I hear ppl get different readings from each when using them together

Well I was originally looking Into just getting a maverick and a pitmaster iq 110 but I hear ppl get different readings from each when using them together
The IQ will read in a range and both have different response times. They work fine together...just let the IQ do what it does and don't try to make them read the same thing or you'l go batty.

I run a Party Q and a Maverick, all on rechargeable batteries, on my WSM 18.5 for overnight cooks. While I've never gotten the two units to synch perfectly on temp they're usually within +/- 10 degrees of each other and therefore close enough. This setup works great for me and is truly set and forget allowing me to sleep like a baby all night long. I also really like the fact that the entire rig is ultra portable and can operate anywhere.

Attachments

• WSM.jpg
    WSM.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 13
Back