• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

2nd Ribs

ChiefBrock

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Well today I decided to try ribs again and some wings as well just like I did for Superbowl.

First time....used homemade rub......also made up a mop/spray of apple cider vinegar-Makers Mark......and finished with little honey on ribs. Wings just the same rub from ribs is all...with a spritz of the cider-bourbon mix half way through cook.
Ribs and Wings everyone loved...I thought they had a little too much bite (spicy bite) for average eaters...I wanted a little more sweet or at least a milder spice. Here are pics from first try......

cooked around 235 using a 2.5-1.5-1 interval on ribs..... put wings on during foiled portion of ribs and then when I pulled ribs off completely I opened up the vents and let the wings crisp up some around 250-275* for 15 minutes.

The ribs were overcooked even if very tender...but think the thin ends were a little dry later while eating. 8 different people tried them not in family circle...and all loved them and said moist and tangy...one said they thought the ribs were dry...I think he got a piece on the thin end. This was also the day after Superbowl after they were refrigerated all night and then warmed up for lunch at work. They were not sampled right after cooking as is optimum....so eased the pain a little. LOL
405844564.jpg

405844571.jpg

405844567.jpg

Yeah, I was playing with the Maverick electronic thermometer even on the ribs...LMAO. That is how I found a good 50*F difference from lid thermometer and the Maverick. :(

Today...I changed things up a little. I bought some rub that sounded like all my ingredients minus the chipolte powder...from Big Poppa..the Simply Marvelous Sweet and Spicy rub. Did the same apple cider and Makers Mark in spritz bottle...and went with sweet baby rays for finishing sauce if at all.

kept cooker at 225*.....3 hours cook....1.5 hour wrapped....30 minutes open

put wings on when I wrapped same as before.

both were lightly covered in the rub...whereas last time I coated them all like I would a pork shoulder. I thought it was too heavy for the ribs and the wings so did a even light sprinkle on everything instead.

fire sometimes went up to 240 until I got things set right....and then stayed from 218-230 on average for entire cook.

Spritzed every hour.....then after unwrapping put a light strip of bbq sauce on and let cooker warm it up after I spread around.

Spritzed wings too....

Invited brother in law, wife, kids, and my youngest daughter over... they loved them more than on Superbowl they said...especially the wings.

I am much more pleased as well....still fighting to learn a way of doing the lump so I can not tend fire as much. Used little too much today and had to pull a shovel full out of charcoal drawer to lower temp and make more manageable...next time will try again. :) :)

405844573.jpg

405844576.jpg

405844595.jpg

405844627.jpg

405844638.jpg

Ribs had good smoke ring....good flavor...when I pulled them off I was not wearing my gloves and they were hot...imagine that..hahaha...and was too rough and one pulled apart but otherwise held together pretty good. Good bites from everyone on bone...nobody added any sauce other than the light glaze I added...and commented on they could see moisture in meat.
I think I need more picky eaters....that are harder on BBQ. LOL Going to give some next time to my friend..whose family owns one of the local Bessinger BBQ's. They use mustard based sauces so sure that will be his first question as why I am not using his sauce..hahahahaha he is a curmudgeon though and wont pull any punches with me...hahahaha

Nice cooking, I really like the SM Sweet and Spicy, I think it is his best product.

I liked it very much as well. I really wanted to use one of my own but gets more expensive to keep trying and throwing them out....so I decided to focus on the cooking if I found one I like and let someone else make the rubs. :)

tasted ALMOST as good warmed up on day two as leftovers...had 4 ribs tonight, 3 wings, some home made tater salad and some bacon and beans. :) :)

Back