Need to cover UDS to help with temp...

Diesel

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Mighty cold here today and I'm smoking two butts for pulled pork and Im wondering if I could use a movers blanket to wrap the UDS. would any one try it or do you think it would melt the fabric.

Trying it anyway, got a 72 x 80 for 5 bux at harbor freight. lets see what happens.

i heard of it being done. never tried it myself. let us know how it went.

I have seen posts by others advising people to use the blankets, I have no experience with them myself as my uds seems fine in the cold but let us know how it works out for you.

There is a member here that cooks in his UDS through the winter at North Pole Alaska and never uses a blanket. Only difference is a bit higher fuel usage.

I have heard of folks using water heater insulating covers/blankets, but $5 for a mover's blanket is hard to pass up.

I used blankets on UDS and towels on the WSM Mini. No problems with burning or melting. The temp on the mini came up nicely with the help of a towel. It would never had made it to 225 without the towel when I cooked in December (temp 20-30 degrees)

It's working well ! Temps went up, so I closed a vent and now its just moving right along. It was very windy here today also so the blanket really helped. No burning and no melting of the fabric. See my UDS was cold today.

Attachments

• cold UDS.jpg
    cold UDS.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 68
there is a brother here who built a wooden box around his uds and filled it full of sand. that would for winter, only problem, it becomes stationary.

there is a brother here who built a wooden box around his uds and filled it full of sand. that would for winter, only problem, it becomes stationary.

That wouldnt work for me. There is a pool going right where the UDS now this spring so it has to be mobile.

Good to hear its working, the wind is your biggest enemy! The blankets really help with that. But IF its not windy no need to wrap up a UDS I've cooked at -43F(or colder) ambient and just use a bit more fuel. the UDS is an amazing cooker that's for sure!

Looking forward to seeing your finished pron
pwa

Good to hear its working, the wind is your biggest enemy! The blankets really help with that. the UDS is an amazing cooker that's for sure!

Looking forward to seeing your finished pron
pwa

You said it, The wind was killing me. And the drum is amazing at what it does. I cant wait to get my SS UDS going. Pron will follow soon. they are taking a nap in the cooler.

Buy 6 PBCs and run them full tilt around your UDS. Of course, if you are smart, you would buy One PBC, gut your UDS and use the UDS to insolate the PBC.

Welders blankets are great for this too. I used to use them to cover my Meat Mama smoker which is pretty large and never had to worry about a fire.

Back