• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

UDS vs Double Barrel Smoker (NEED SOME ADVICE)

Williefb

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Here's my predicament. I have agreed to help put on a bbq in a few weeks and rather than renting a smoker I would like to just build one that I can have around the house. After researching here, I'm still trying to get the correct decision on which route to go. (fuel efficiency, cost, portability, etc)

I'm planning on cooking approx 8 - 10 butts for the event.

Should I...........

1. Build 1 double rack UDS smoker?
2. Build 2 single rack UDS smokers?
3. Build 1 double barrel smoker?
4. Something different?

Thanks in advance for the help.

I've never used a double barrel smoker, but have done lots of cooks on my UDS. In terms of fuel efficiency, I understand the double barrel smokers are fuel hogs, where the UDS is not only very fuel efficient, but is pretty much set and forget.

I'd go with 2 two rack UDS for your purposes.

I would also go UDS. No babysitting and adding fuel all the time. As to whether 2-1 racks or 1 2 racks, I would build 2 UDS because once you use it you will want another.

I agree, go with 2 UDS's! I have a double barrel and a UDS, and the UDS is sooooo efficient and easy to use. The double is great to use when you have a crowd, cause everybody thinks it's the coolest thing! It took me probably 8 - 10 cooks to figure out my DB, and one cook to dial in my uds!!
Actually, you should build 2 uds, and then build the db!!
You can NEVER have enough toys!!

I like the UDS, easy to use, efficient and great Q. That's a lot of meat though. I always thought of a new design I wanted to try, but I'll tell you and you can give it a go if you like. Its the double barrel UDS !!:idea: Something like 2 barrels on top of a center barrel on its side with a coal hatch. That way the smoke and heat is even going up both UDS from the same fire source. Just an idea..

I have both, as a matter of fact, my double barrel is all stainless, I haven't fired it since I built my UDS, I consider it a waste of two barrels, (actually 3) I used one more for the lid.

Agreed, two UDS is the way to go. I have a double over drum smoker and it actually sucks.

It burns tons of wood, temps fluctuate wildly, it requires constant attention, and the capacty is limited.

My double drum smoker is on the way to the scrap yard...soon.

Two douple rack UDS all the way.

I had a Double given to me and after playing around with it a little bit i sold it and went UDS and have never regretted it. The double is a wood hog for what I needed to do and no reason with building 2 rack uds's that you cant do about 8 butts per UDS smoker I would think.

Broken record here: build 2 UDS, each with 2 racks. You won't regret it.

Great advice guys. I appreciate the help and it's a no brainer to do the UDS. A few more questions re UDS but I will start a new thread. Thanks again!

I have three UDS smokers and one Texas built off set smoker with a vertical smoker. I would rather the UDS smokers any day. They are more fuel efficient, hold the temperature consistently and, are a lot cheaper to build. As well as easier to move around, plus they are just cool to have. I think you'll be a lot happier building two. I'd recommend a temperature fans tho just so you could know for certain that your holding a consistent temps and not ruining the meat, i.e., bbq guru, iq 110.

If you are going to keep it around for just the family after words it would be silly to. Hold a fuel hog. 2 UDS's will probably use 1/4 the fuel and be a benefit to your family for years to come.

Back