• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

does ground tri-tip and benton's bacon sound good for sliders?

deepsouth

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
i'm doing wings and sliders for the saints game sunday. i was thinking of grinding a tri-tip with two-three medium thickness slices (half lb??) of benton's bacon to make my sliders with.

waste of tri-tip?

waste of benton's bacon?

good to go?

thoughts?

also, is texas pete's wing sauce any good? we have chit for selection around here. i just want something for a few of the wings as mostly we just eat them straight smoked.

Don't know Benton's bacon, but I'd buy the cheapest if you're going to grind it. Tri Tip...depends on the cost of the it. I bet you can find a sirloin for cheaper and just grind that and save the tri tip for later.

Texas Petes, I've had. It's OK, but not spectacular. I'd go with the Hooters sauce if they have that.

Don't know Benton's bacon, but I'd buy the cheapest if you're going to grind it. Tri Tip...depends on the cost of the it. I bet you can find a sirloin for cheaper and just grind that and save the tri tip for later.

Texas Petes, I've had. It's OK, but not spectacular. I'd go with the Hooters sauce if they have that.

$2.99/lb for the tri-tip. it's under two pounds. i already pulled the tri-tip from the freezer, so it's cook it whole or grind it.

i will grab the hooters sauce and set the texas petes aside for something else later.

$2.99/lb for the tri-tip. it's under two pounds. i already pulled the tri-tip from the freezer, so it's cook it whole or grind it.

i will grab the hooters sauce and set the texas petes aside for something else later.

$2.99/lb for tri-tip !?! Amazing price... I am very happy & lucky if I get it for $3.99/lb--usually it is $6.99/lb.

$2.99/lb for tri-tip !?! Amazing price... I am very happy & lucky if I get it for $3.99/lb--usually it is $6.99/lb.

i understand that WHEN we can get it, from here on out, it will be regularly $3.99/lb. we probably won't get it often, but when we do, i'll grab a half dozen. this is the first time we have ever gotten it by the case down here. ususally you get a special/improperly cut tri-tip.

Make your own wing sauce. All you need is a bottle of your favorite hot sauce and some butter, you can add other stuff to your taste.
I chop 2 to 3 garlic cloves and soften it in butter and then add Franks Red Hot.

If you thinking of grinding the bacon to mix with the burger, I'd skip it. I've had burger with ground bacon before and the bacon doesn't cook at the same rate as the beef and creates a weird textural thing. Not to mention it makes the burger a greasy, salty mess in my opinion. I know there is a sentiment that mixing bacon with anything will make it better, but I tend to disagree. I've had burgers, meatloaf, sausage all with ground bacon and none better than the original.

What I have done with ground bacon is make a small thin patty to top a burger with, that was killer, absolutely awesome. I cooked the bacon patty first, nice and crisp all around and on both sides, then cooked the burgers in the bacon fat, out of this world.

Holy s*^(. That's an amazing price for tri tip. I'm in the Midwest, where you can't swing a dead cat without hitting beef, and I can't get it for less than $7.99. I'd get more of that...even at the inflated $3.99 price.

Get some franks red hot and make your own wing sauce.

1 stick butter
1 cup franks
A splash of white vinegar
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Cayenne to taste
And some crushed red chili if you like

This is the "classic" wing sauce in our area, and you can't go wrong with it.

I grind sirloin and hickory smoked bacon all the time, it's my families favorite burger. I've been wanting to try Tri-Tip and bacon, I think it would be delicious. Let us know how it turns out

I think my invite got lost in the mail.
I'm pretty sure I would have greatly enjoyed that, and poured praises upon you for preparing such a wonderful meal.

But alas....here I sit..... with no sliders. :laugh:

Back