• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Sausage Stuffed Pork Loin

B

Black Dog BBQ

I had some of this at fundraising event a while back. It was cooked by a local club and it was great. I have been contemplating making a stab at it soon. Can any of you give me some input on technique? Like how in the heck you get the sausage in there to start with? Temps.? Foil? Rubs?

Any input will be greatly appreciated!

are you talking about pork loin with a cased sausage in middle? or butterflied and bulk sausage spread on it then rolled and tied????

Do you mean like this?

http://thebbqgrail.com/2008/the-internally-self-basting-pork-loin/

stuffed.jpg

Here's one I did at the Memphis In May World BBQ Championship Celebrity Grill-off last year...

CB7.jpg

The process is simple. Using a long thin bladed knife, cut a slit down the middle of the loin. Insert a partially FROZEN italian sausage. Tie off the end and cook as you would a normal loin. It's best to do the prep work the night before so the sausage has time, in the fridge, to thaw out before cooking.

Do you mean like this?

http://thebbqgrail.com/2008/the-internally-self-basting-pork-loin/

stuffed.jpg

Here's one I did at the Memphis In May World BBQ Championship Celebrity Grill-off last year...

CB7.jpg

The process is simple. Using a long thin bladed knife, cut a slit down the middle of the loin. Insert a partially FROZEN italian sausage. Tie off the end and cook as you would a normal loin. It's best to do the prep work the night before so the sausage has time, in the fridge, to thaw out before cooking.

Man that looks awesome! Making my stomach growl!

my only concern with using uncooked sausage is, by the time the sausage is safely cooked, the rest of the loin would be way overcooked , IMO. Any thoughts on this? Even when butterflying and spreading sausage/filling on the loin, then rolling and tying, I always pre-cook the sausage.

my only concern with using uncooked sausage is, by the time the sausage is safely cooked, the rest of the loin would be way overcooked , IMO. Any thoughts on this? Even when butterflying and spreading sausage/filling on the loin, then rolling and tying, I always pre-cook the sausage.

Never been a problem for me. I do this all the time. Never had a raw sausage and I'm never had overcooked pork.

Pork sausage cooked until 145 degrees is good to go. Pork loin cooked to 145 degrees is good to go. Together great. By pre-cooking the sausage you render out all the juices. The purpose of this technique is to have the juices baste from the inside out with those juices.

When butterflying a loin and then filling, rolling and tying you are looking for a particular flavor profile and not as much concerned with the internal basting technique. If I were doing it this way, I would also pre-cook the sausage.

Back