Beef Back Ribs

energyzer

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Can anyone direct me toward a good beef rib "how too" thread? I have searched around and gather that I want to smoke at 200-225 using the 3-2-1 method? Also, is there a membrane that I need to cut off the bone side of the rack?

Thanks for all the comments, they all help. I should add that I will be using a UDS for this cook.

Thanks for all the comments, they all help. I should add that I will be using a UDS for this cook.

Take a look at the link that bull posted. If you are looking for a 3-2-1 type cook, try the Adam Perry Lang beef rib recipe in my post.
Since you are using a drum, this would be a good one to try.
Definitely remove the membrane.

I cook em very similarly to the way I cook pork ribs (remove membrane, season n smoke)

With beef ribs (n brisket), i usually go with less sugar and more chilli powder.

i've had excellent results with this simple recipe:
brush on some wooster
dust with rub, onion powder, salt, and pepper
fire up smoker to 325*
add some cherry and hickory wood
cook for about 3 hours
sauce if you choose
pull em off when they look like this

Last edited:
Here's what I did a couple weeks ago and they were AWESOME!

-Smoker set between 225* to 260* with a couple chunks of hickory (I had quite a bit of temp bounce that day)
-Ribs rubbed down with Plowboy's Yardbird a few minutes before they went on the UDS (no membrane removal or trimming)
-Left them alone in the UDS for about 6 hours. No foil.
-Brushed them with Gates BBQ sauce during the last 10 minutes

Dead simple and really very tasty and tender!

Here's what I did a couple weeks ago and they were AWESOME!

-Smoker set between 225* to 260* with a couple chunks of hickory (I had quite a bit of temp bounce that day)
-Ribs rubbed down with Plowboy's Yardbird a few minutes before they went on the UDS (no membrane removal or trimming)
-Left them alone in the UDS for about 6 hours. No foil.
-Brushed them with Gates BBQ sauce during the last 10 minutes

Dead simple and really very tasty and tender!

I wish I could get Yard bird here. The closest place I can get it is 2 hours away. I could order it, but the shipping is crazy everywhere.

i've had excellent results with this simple recipe:
brush on some wooster
dust with rub, onion powder, salt, and pepper
fire up smoker to 325*
add some cherry and hickory wood
cook for about 3 hours
sauce if you choose
pull em off when they look like this
Now that's a beautiful looking rib. I cook @ 225 for 4 hrs until tender, with your rub of choice.

Back