Second attempt at Leg Quarters

X

xenon

My first attempt a couple weeks ago to make superb Chicken Leg Quarters ended with gorgeous outside and a bloody mess inside. While it is a bit late, I've been drinking so time doesn't seem to be a factor, I'm merely hungry! Anyways, I've got 5 quarters on the grill right now, and my camera isn't working so that I can provide pr0n, but I'll keep ya up to date on whether this attempt is successful, or a miserable failure.

There was a little blood last time i did quarters. Ate it anyways, There can be small pockets of it near the bone that dont cook out, but are harmless.

In my drunken revelry, I complete forgot to update this post! The quarters turned out fantastic. I used two different rubs and a vinegar-based bbq sauce. There was no blood at all, so that was a definite improvement!

Going to do some grilling this week and I believe I have my camera fixed, so there should be pics from henceforth!

I have never been a big fan of chicken quarters but have used this recipe a few times and now love them. It's simple and very good. Took some quarters and thighs to a party and everybody raved over it. Few said it was the best chicken they ever ate.
Brine
8 cups water
3/4 cup kosher salt
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup white vinegar
1 Tbs. poultry seasoning (I used creole seasoning)
Mix all ingredients till dissolved and brine for around 5 hours. I like using Glad 2 1/2 gallon Zip lock bags to brine chicken in.
Pull out of brine, rinse off brine, coat with extra virgin olive oil, season very well with favorite rub. Cook indirect. Sauced at end of cook.

I wish more of my family liked dark meat. I'd be eating those leg quarters by myself. Instead I get large bone-in/skin-on breasts and cook indirect, hot and fast with hickory.

Back