Grease Stains on UDS

kwas68

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I'm planning my third UDS build with a Weber lid mod. One downside to the UDS is the U for "ugly." Anybody been successful in preventing the grease streaks running down the outside of the drum? If so, how did you do it?

Weber is smarter than peeps give em credit for.That is why THEY are designed for the crud to drip down the INSIDE.:wink:

Not without a lot of work to the lid. The grease comes down off the lid and looks for the easiest way down.

Weber got it right for the WSM. However, if I’m using a 22.5 grill lid, it is a different story. On the WSM, the lid fits inside an outer lip on the center barrel section causing the grease to run on the inside as Hoss mentioned. On the grill, the outer lip is on the lid which sits outside of the drum diameter. This causes the grease to run down the outside of the drum.

Hoss is on to something though. Has anybody fabricated an outer lip on the drum? I can’t think of an easy way to do it. Grease gutter?

Someone on here once suggested putting a bead of high heat silicon about an inch up from the edge of the lid, this will keep the drips inside the barrel. I don't like the idea a foreign material right above my food surface, and if it ever came off it would be in the bottom of the barrel.
I also saw someone who welded a ring on the inside that works the same way. That is the ideal way if you have access to a mig and someone with some skill.

My drum is SS, so i just wipe it down when needed.

hmmm i dont really see an issue... i guess im not worried about grease on my smoker.

I cut off just over two inches of a kettle bottom to insert into the drum and used Rutland gaskets from Ace Hardware to seal it in. The kettle lid seals perfectly and the drippings fall inside. I have never had a single lid drip in just under three years.

Gasket.jpg

Although minimal, I don't mind a few external grease streaks running down from the lid. At least the lid will keep rain or moisture out when the drum is left out in the open.

Last edited:
I'm in the process of my weber uds build as well. Anyone have a rec on how to clean up the grease that does run? Just soap and water or is there a de-grease spray you all use? tia

SmokeSmeller, I did the same exact thing except I finished it off with some high temp caulk. I imagine the grease from the lid just gets soaked up by your gasket where mine pools up and drips onto the barrel because of the caulk. Maybe the answer is to keep it simpler and forget the caulk.

Does your flange fit tight inside the drum with the gasket? Mine did not and that is why I added the caulk to fill in any gaps.

Mark,
Greased Lightning works pretty well.

SmokeSmeller, I did the same exact thing except I finished it off with some high temp caulk. I imagine the grease from the lid just gets soaked up by your gasket where mine pools up and drips onto the barrel because of the caulk. Maybe the answer is to keep it simpler and forget the caulk.

Does your flange fit tight inside the drum with the gasket? Mine did not and that is why I added the caulk to fill in any gaps.

Mark,
Greased Lightning works pretty well.

Ya know, I've never thought to analyze why it doesn't drip outside the lid. My grandson his smoking is very first batch of ribs on it right now. I will take a good look when he takes them up in a couple of hours.

I use a flat lid I cant bring my self to destroy a weber and have never found anything short of a taraadactile that wouldn't fit under it

Back