Brisket Recipes / Tips

I haven't found the answer yet, but haven't browsed all the links. But, I thought I would ask on here. When I cook this I will be cooking it on a typical side firebox style "barrel" smoker, with split logs. Do I need to do anything to make the environment more moist? Pan with water under the brisket or anything along those lines?

I haven't found the answer yet, but haven't browsed all the links. But, I thought I would ask on here. When I cook this I will be cooking it on a typical side firebox style "barrel" smoker, with split logs. Do I need to do anything to make the environment more moist? Pan with water under the brisket or anything along those lines?

I have an UDS so I do not know from experience but I saw a video on youtube called BBQ with Franklin. He add a pot of water in the smoking chamber. He placed that pot on the same shelf as his brisket. The pot was right near the fire box, so in between the brisket and the firebox. His reasoning is b/c it was a small pit and the fire would dry out the moisture.

Hope this helps

I have an UDS so I do not know from experience but I saw a video on youtube called BBQ with Franklin. He add a pot of water in the smoking chamber. He placed that pot on the same shelf as his brisket. The pot was right near the fire box, so in between the brisket and the firebox. His reasoning is b/c it was a small pit and the fire would dry out the moisture.

Hope this helps
No it is used as a heat sink to keep the temp constant because the pit is a poorly designed pit from Academy Sports built by Old Country( Sponsor of the video series.) It has no baffle at the opening from the fire box. A UDS and Off Set are as different as Cows & Goats. Don't over think the process.

So, I did the cook and it turned out really good. I did kosher salt, cracked pepper, a little garlic powder and a little montreal steak seasoning. I was at about 9.5 hours and we got a little antsy to have dinner before it was too late in the evening. I went ahead and wrapped it for the Texas Crutch and finished it in about 1.5 more hours. It turned out well...juicy and flavorful. I'm sure that without the crutch, the bark would be better. I'll do that some time.

Brisket5.jpg

Pics

Brisket4_zpsda2a8281.jpg

Brisket3_zpsebbdba39.jpg

Brisket2_zps5b339ec6.jpg

Brisket1_zps1f744554.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good Okie! A few suggestions... Try leaving it unwrapped a bit longer to solidify the bark, wrap in butcher paper instead of foil, and slice against the grain. The slices of flat meat look like they're sliced with the grain (stringy). If you slice against they will bite through easier. Keep it up!!!

What is the reason for butcher paper instead of foil? How exactly do you wrap it and get it to stay in place?

Butcher paper is porous it retains moisture but allow the smoke in and the steam out. You get a tender moist flavorful brisket with great bark instead of a steamed hunk of delii brisket with some smoke on it and mushy bark. The butcher paper gives some of the benefits of foil and most of the benefits of cooking with out it WIn WIn.
I guess you never been to a real butcher and watched them wrap your meat, so this is how I do it YMMV

Pull off about 3 1/2 ft of paper lay the brisket on the paper at a bias across at the corner make sure you place it far enough in so that the corner can be folded all the way over the fat cap. Bring the sides into the ends of the brisket and roll the brisket in the paper. Repeat the roll working the sides of the paper to the center ass you go. If everything goes to plan it will be fat cap down and you will have a stubby tri-angle of a tail on top of the flat. Place it on the pit Fat cap up the weight will keep it closed.

The first time you do one leave the brisket in the cryo and practice once or twice to get a feel for it. much easier to learn with a cold one.

Last edited:
OK, next question...where do you usually buy butcher paper.

By the way, talked to our meat store a little this morning about rib roast and I was talking to the guy that typically feeds their cattle. He said they shoot for it being on the high end of choice and into the prime category, so most all they have is good stuff. Alsom they said they dry age everything. We talked about briskets a bit and he said a guy from TX that is typically in competitions buys all his brisket from them. He always has more tender briskets than his competitors. ;-)

I've never brined one, but I usually keep mine VERY moist by two moves:

1- inject with plain ol beef broth - wont make it taste like anything other than good old beef. You'll never know its there other than a juicy bite!

2 - place in poll pan with foil wrapped over the top once bark has set (160-ish deg).

That'll pretty much guarantee a moist brisket. Good luck!

I get mine from the place that carves my steers into steaks. He charges me 10 bucs for a roll but he makes it back on the other end. I have some ocean front property in Wy with a 30 room mansion a Swimming pool filled with Glenflidich and neked French Maids I'll sell it to ya for 1500.00.

OK, next question...where do you usually buy butcher paper.

My local hardware store has two kinds, white and colored. I think colored is
traditional, I've only used the white.

I wrap the meat like I would a sandwich, turning the meat 90 degrees after the first wrap so it doesn't leak any juices.

Back