BBQ Brethren "Man Sized Meat" Throwdown!

I noticed it when I first saw it. It's a beautiful shot. I love the flames lighting the sides of the steak.

Until yesterday, I was planning to sit this one out. We had meals of pork tenderloin and chicken planned out for the weekend, and were planning a very lazy weekend, as it's the first week we've all been home in almost two months. Friday night, though, my wife noticed I had a text thingy on my phone all day from some Spanish colleagues that they had just come into town. Don't people know I'm technologically inept? :tsk: I'm glad she can figure out all this stuff or we would've missed them altogether. :roll: Anyway, it meant that I was shopping for steak at Costco yesterday. Since we had a few people over, it gave me an excuse to pick up one of those cryovacs of strip steaks that are much more cost effective than the individually cut steaks (at least that was the line I used, and it actually worked this time :becky:).

IMG_3712.jpg

It also meant we could both work on a throwdown together in I don't know how long. Anyway, growing up, a Cowboy steak was a 2lb Porterhouse and a Cowgirl steak was a 1lb T-bone. Depending on who you were with, you might be able to trade that pesky little tenderloin for someone's strip steak, and get yourself two strip steaks. :becky: For some reason, my mom always preferred the tenderloin. :thumb: So, why not just make a double strip steak? This is easy enough when you've got the whole loin. With a strategic cut, you can butterfly the loin and get yourself what you really want. :hungry:

IMG_3713.jpg

I actually made two. One smaller, and one larger:

IMG_3721.jpg

This was about 5" to start, so 2.5" butterflied:

IMG_3723.jpg

It weighed in at just under 4 pounds, so most people would consider this mansized.

I seasoned this up with some Foil-Hat Rub, Lawry's, Parsley, and pepper. I also rubbed with EVOO.

IMG_3726.jpg

Set the Primo for 220*, loaded up with lump and a chunk of oak:

IMG_3728.jpg

For this thick of a steak, I probe it.

IMG_3730.jpg

I then put my faith in my trusty Maverick remote thermometer:

IMG_3732.jpg

Notice that even at a range of 1", this Maverick was able to track the temperature ... errrr, nevermind. :mad: At 125*, it was time for the sear, which I did at about 600* for about 1 minute per side. Taking it off, I had a nice flame going, but that makes no difference at this point.

IMG_3733.jpg

Here it is whole and plated:

IMG_3735.jpg

My wife made a wonderful baked potato. Of course there are no sides with a Man-size steak, so this is really just garnish to give you an idea of the scale. I mean, who is going to eat a potato? :noidea:

IMG_3743.jpg

and here is the plated shot:

IMG_3765.jpg

Great looking steak Gore :hungry: That thing is ginormous.

I will let someone else point out your dilly bar qualifications.

:hail: Gore I am in awe of this fine specimen of manly meat you have presented. And what a great idea using the butterfly technique. Dilly Bar or not, an amazing entry! :clap:

OK, you probed it, but there is no way you let that go to the 170° set temp I saw in the pic. So, what temp did you pull it at? Inquiring minds want to know! That's my kind of done there.

I will let someone else point out your dilly bar qualifications.

:hail: Gore I am in awe of this fine specimen of manly meat you have presented. And what a great idea using the butterfly technique. Dilly Bar or not, an amazing entry! :clap:

Thanks, although I'm completely confused as to why this would be DQ'ed. :noidea:

I think this is my favorite picture so far. Love the potato.

My wife makes a really nice potato garnish. :thumb:

OK, you probed it, but there is no way you let that go to the 170° set temp I saw in the pic. So, what temp did you pull it at? Inquiring minds want to know! That's my kind of done there.

Sorry, I pulled it about 125* and almost immediately tossed it on my gasser which was coasting at about 600*. I let it sit for about 10 minutes before slicing. It only needed about a minute per side for a decent sear. I know there are some fancy shmancy things on the Maverick to give you a warning if the temp gets to a certain point but I can never figure them out. I tried the manual once, but it took forever to program the temp to something reasonable and when you reset the stupid thing, it goes to the factory resets. I lose the sync about every 10 minutes (yes, new batteries) as you can see in the pic, so there's really no point in setting anything.

Moose, I never thought of butterflying a steak until I saw it at the Big Texan where they butterfly a sirloin to get their 72 ouncer:

72ozSteaklarger.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, although I'm completely confused as to why this would be DQ'ed. :noidea:

My wife makes a really nice potato garnish. :thumb:

That is a very valid point. You never said you ate it and it could easily function as a garnish. Hell, that may not even be a real potato. Maybe your wife is very handy with clay and air brush painting.

c6e4d180-b9a2-b81f.jpg
Guys I haven't seen another shots other than the one on this page but I think there is a photographic trick being used on this cook. That potato looks unusually small, or is it a big steak, or is it the plate, or maybe the garnish, wait its the fork. Anway I thought we weren't supposed to do sides. I love doing sides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
In the raw meat photo, it looks like the steak is hovering just above the grill grate. Does anyone else notice that?

_DSC8246.jpg

CD
Compare the grill marks on the cooked steak on the fire. That is the side that is down on the raw picture. If I photoshopped it it would look worse than my daughter cutting and pasting a picture. :laugh:

c6e4d180-b9a2-b81f.jpg
Guys I haven't seen another shots other than the one on this page but I think there is a photographic trick being used on this cook. That potato looks unusually small, or is it a big steak, or is it the plate, or maybe the garnish, wait its the fork. Anway I thought we weren't supposed to do sides. I love dong sides.

Ummm, excuse me? Oh hey, so do I!

Guys I haven't seen another shots other than the one on this page but I think there is a photographic trick being used on this cook. That potato looks unusually small, or is it a big steak, or is it the plate, or maybe the garnish, wait its the fork. Anway I thought we weren't supposed to do sides. I love dong sides.

I think all of the above. It looks very suspicious to me and I'd swear a squirrel was involved somewhere. As for that garnish, notice that there are no grill marks or aluminum foil to protect it from who knows what forces. I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't materialize on the photographic negative (do they still make those anymore?). I'm sure alien forces were involved somewhere. The whole thing reeks of conspiracy. :shock:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat Man
c6e4d180-b9a2-b81f.jpg

Ummm, excuse me? Oh hey, so do I!

:icon_blush: :laugh:

Back