hosting a competition

rookiedad

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
has anyone ever been involved with hosting a contest? what is involved? i would lke to hear of anyone's experience with this. thanks.
phil

Phil,

Take a look here:
http://kcbs.us/downloads/sanctioning.pdf

Althought KCBS centric--I would imagine that the general guidance would work for any event.
Place to get started.

Looks like a "whole lotta" work to me
redface.gif

TIM

Phil,

Are you thinking about putting one on here in Suffolk? If you are, I would be willing to help a bit. There are alot of great locations here in Suffolk.

Fellow here in St Louis wants to bring KCBS Competition BBQ to St L - Last Summer I helped him put on a non-sanctioned contest at his Church - we modeled it on a sanctioned contest - we had 5 teams and everyone had a great time. I had contacted the KCBS and they were extremely helpful.

This Summer they will have a KCBS Sanctioned contest on July 14 '06 - preceeded by a CBJ class on 1/28/06.

you CAN do it

I was thinking about putting one together in Brooklyn, but due to the distance rules between contests, it's too close to Grill Kings to qualify as a KCBS sanctioned event.

BrooklynQ said:
I was thinking about putting one together in Brooklyn, but due to the distance rules between contests, it's too close to Grill Kings to qualify as a KCBS sanctioned event.

Only if it is on the same weekend.

Not just same weekend - had some time restrictions too. The organization I was working with is set on it's dates so it would have not been accepted for sanction.

Even if it's not sanctioned it could still be fun and good publicity for the sport of BBQing. I think BBQing as a sport and just for the fun of it is exploding up here in the North East.

Start planning early!!! Keep in mind that you will need a good deal of " Front Money " ( for trophys, advertising, turn in boxes ect. ) because some teams won't pay the entry fee untill day of even though they have given a verbal commitment. If you can get local sponcership, they can help with some of this.

Phil,

I don't know what you are thinking of but I think what Patchogue does during the summer on Friday evenings is very cool. I think shutting down Main Street and turning it into a street fair with bands and such is good for the community and the business community. Maybe this could be tied in to BBQ contest.

Excelsior Springs MO shut down main street and had a contest there - Did any of you brethern cook there? The Fragile Flower and I judged there - the Hall of Waters is farken impressive!

wsm said:
Excelsior Springs MO shut down main street and had a contest there - Did any of you brethern cook there? The Fragile Flower and I judged there - the Hall of Waters is farken impressive!
Yes it is. Wifie and I went there a few years ago for a weekend. Did the water treatment/massage thingie. Very nice, and very different.

This type of event is good for everyone. It brings people into town where they will spend money at the local merchants and it is a good time for families also. It's win-win.

i know they have that bbq block party in manhatten, but has there ever been a competition there?
phil

Phil
We do 6 to 8 competitions a year, start now and if you like I can get you a timeline that spells out what you need in place and when. Let me know if i can help.

Go for it Rookie!!

Jim Minion offered to help, you can request help from the KCBS and I will do what little I can - but YOU gotta go for it!!

I am looking at doing a Comp. here with my Lions Club .
The State Organization and experienced cooks have been
very helpful

Back