Am I Nuts? First Chuck Roast w/pron

code3rrt

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I'm only guessing, but my neighbors, and maybe my family must think I have a screw loose. It's 24 degrees outside, 9 O'clock at night and I'm out on the deck Q'ing, Hmmmmmmmm.....even sounds a little nutty to me, lol. Here is the pathway from my back door to thr Weber;
ChuckRoast019_zps73d11c47.jpg

ChuckRoast020_zps6e2c9166.jpg

Any way, I've been wanting to try a chuckie for a while now and had a small one that needed to be used:
ChuckRoast004_zps65b68637.jpg

All seasoned up with Bovine Bold, my first time using this, one of the reasons I was Q'ing was to try this;
ChuckRoast005_zpsc6a7a56e.jpg

ChuckRoast006_zpsb72d2f9d.jpg

I also did some more wings so I could play with some other new products I've wanted to try:
ChuckRoast007_zps998a3218.jpg

The yard bird I've used before, the Blues Hog sauces are new to me. And also:
ChuckRoast008_zps541c1b14.jpg

Jerk seasoning was also new to me.
Soooooo on to the grill, chuck roast first:
ChuckRoast010_zps62fc4b0a.jpg

Cooked at around 300 +/- to an IT of 160, then wrapped in foil with some carmelized onions and beef stock:
ChuckRoast012_zpsd5cadbf6.jpg

ChuckRoast013_zps20ed0178.jpg

Wrapped it up tight, back on the kettle to IT of 205. Put it in a cooler wrapped with towels to rest for an hour or so. While that was happening, I finished up my wings:
ChuckRoast014_zps36f0260d.jpg

Jerk seasoned on the left, yardbird on the right:
ChuckRoast015_zpsde058aa4.jpg

Left the jerk seasoned wings without any sauce so I could really see what it tasted like. The wings with the yardbird I put a half and half mix of the BH original and the Tennessee red, I thought both batches of wings were great, really liked them both.
Now back to the chuckie.
ChuckRoast016_zps6eb60ec5.jpg

Out of the foil and chopped up some. Wasn't as tender as I expected it to be, not quite pullable, but still tender and tasted quite good.
Here it is plated with some gravy I made from the drippings:
ChuckRoast018_zps31fd278b.jpg

A few mixed vegies and red taters to boot. It wasn't quite what I had hoped, need to work a little on my seasonings to get it where I want it. It was quite good though, I tried a little after this with a little of Tasty Licks secret sauce and that really tasted good, I liked the BBQ sauce better than the gravy I think, at least on the meat, lol.

Quite a lengthy post but I am having a great time trying out new "stuff". Thanks to all of the brethren for giving me some great ideas.

Hope you all enjoyed the pron, thanks for looking and Happy New Year to ya all!

Nuts? No way thats the way we roll her on the Brethren extreme quer's haha....Looks great I have some of that Tennessee red on the way cant wait to try it out.

lol You're going to catch a cold like me!! :becky:

Looks really really tasty!! I can almost taste that chuck... Mmmmm...nice job! :-D

Shoot man, that all looks great to me. Love all the products you have there. I really like Fred's Secret Sauce too. I like to save the juice from my pulled pork and mix that with the Secret Sauce then mix that back into the pork. :thumb:

You are just nuts like the rest of us. Looks great. I always have to cook chuckies way longer before the pull. They will go to 208-210 and still need more cook time till they pull.

Shoot man, that all looks great to me. Love all the products you have there. I really like Fred's Secret Sauce too. I like to save the juice from my pulled pork and mix that with the Secret Sauce then mix that back into the pork. :thumb:

Thanks Fingerlickin, thats a great idea mixing the sauce with the dripping.

You are just nuts like the rest of us. Looks great. I always have to cook chuckies way longer before the pull. They will go to 208-210 and still need more cook time till they pull.

Thanks chicago, That's good info, I was reviewing some threads and kinda was coming to that same conclusion.

Not nuts at all, just hungry. I fired up the UDS this morning and it was about 12* out with the windchill making it 4 or 5!

I've had the same problem with my chuckies...guess I just need to be patient and leave them be.

All the food looks great! Haven't had any jerk style wings in a long time. Might have to try that this weekend.

That all looks really good:clap:.
I won't refuse a plate.
Another thought for the chucky, maybe try
"Pepper Stout Chuck Roast" next time. It my
favorite way to do a chucky and it's good
every time. It's a popular recipe.

Back