Shank ham cooking questions...

Vince B

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I bought a ready to cook smithfield ham that I want to make on my weber smoker. On the package it really does not say what temp to cook the 9lb bone shank cut ham. It just says slow cook. I know that we want the inturnal temp around 150* to be done. However I was planing on making a standing rib roast at the same time and was planning on smoking these two at a low and slow temp. Figured somewhere around 250*. I know this is a hard question to answer as far as time and temp but I could use some advise here. Thank you in advance Vince Bielanski

First, is the ham labeled as "Ready to cook" / "Partially cooked" or is it a "Ready to eat" ham?

Basically, hams are sometimes completely pre-cooked ("ready to eat") and they just need warmed up. I prefer to get "partially cooked" hams that have only been smoked, but still need cooked to eat.

For the "partially cooked" or "ready to cook" ham, I do them at 10-15 minutes per pound at 325 degrees. Obviously, a lower temp will yield longer cook times.

I've always cooked hams at a little higher temp. Mainly because that's how I first tried it and it turned out great, so why change what works?

Here's a great recipe that I learned from and have passed on many times. I LOVE the glaze recipe on this one. It's our family favorite.
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/ham1.html

Vince, there shouldn't be a problem at all at those temps. The real trick is to get them both done at the same time. Your ham will take about 4 hrs. You may want to soak it first in water, changing it frequently as the Smithfield hams are famous for being too salty.

It says hard wood smoked ready to cook. It also says bring to 148*. Vince

Vince, there shouldn't be a problem at all at those temps. The real trick is to get them both done at the same time. Your ham will take about 4 hrs. You may want to soak it first in water, changing it frequently as the Smithfield hams are famous for being too salty.

So are you saying at 250* or at 325*?

I would take it to 160. But hamis very forgiving, it really hard to screw one of those up

So are you saying at 250* or at 325*?

At 250. I never cook at 325. Too easy to over cook at higher temps. I also only take them up to 140-150 cause I like a juicy ham and always end up reheating or just eating them cold later.

At 250. I never cook at 325. Too easy to over cook at higher temps. I also only take them up to 140-150 cause I like a juicy ham and always end up reheating or just eating them cold later.

Thanks for the replies. I plan on starting the ham about a half hour before the two 7lb rib roasts and I think this will get it all done about the same time. Happy holidays to all. Vince

Thanks for the replies. I plan on starting the ham about a half hour before the two 7lb rib roasts and I think this will get it all done about the same time. Happy holidays to all. Vince

Anytime Bro. Just let us know how it all comes out. :thumb:

Will do big dog. I ran into one snag while trying to load the smoker. Being that I was doing two 7+lb rib roasts with the ham I could not load them on the top rack with the ham on the bottom. Reason the foil pans with the wire racks would not fit.

I decided to put the ham on a foiled pizza pan on the top. On the bottom I still used the foil pans but cut the sides so I could slide them together. Then I over lapped the two cookie wire racks and jammed the two roasts on the bottom. I figured the pans would help deflect some of the heat on the sides of the roasts and with ham panned on the top I do not have to worry about the juices mixing!

I have had the wsm running since 1:00 @ 235-240 now for a little over an hour. The ham is only about 10* less than the rib roasts. I figure I might use a tip that I saw RonL post about pulling the roasts below their desired temp. Take and toss them in a 140* oven to hold until the ham is done. I figured this might help with my timing some if need be. My original plan was to start the ham first but that plan went to hell in a hand basket!

I did take some pic's with my camera phone however I'm not sure how they will turn out. Wish me luck and I will update later! Thanks again. Vince

Seriously, you can even cheat a finish it in the oven. Meat stops on taking smoke after about 140 so no harm putting it in a reg. oven. In fact, I do that all the time when I'm glazing for the last hour or so.

Back