Chicken halves 2 ways

Fake Farmer

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Did one chicken half simply to try out a new seasoning. Got some hickory smoked sea salt, and it smells/tastes GREAT! Just haven't used it as a feature seasoning. Did one half with just that and a sprinkle of oregano. I was going for simple and "fresh" taste in my head.
16F865BF-8614-4F26-936D-854C833D230A_zps70grbbdg.jpg

Did other half in a pretty standard chicken rub. Pepper, onion powder, garlic salt, and a McCormicks "pork rub" which is just really more of the same stuff and paprika.
68465395-A588-4E1E-98F4-4842EB9BC729_zpshmygsdxo.jpg

BE92DE34-F49D-4782-BE44-2FE53AEB2595_zpskzhzu90p.jpg

Used Royal Oak, and a small chunk of apple wood. I let it crank too high at first and it was at 500, but by the time chicken went on it was about 350. 45-60 minutes indirect, skin up. I'll post some action shots when Photobucket App for iphone stops being difficult.

Broke down the heavily rubbed side, and got 3 nice plates out of it....take your pick! Don't mind the limp asparagus. I grilled it, but it was already a bit limp coming out of the Food Saver vacuum sealed bag.
All white meat with a heavily peppered baked potato for Melinda.
B0660682-089F-4AF8-93D5-3BA4331789A0_zpsoacc0ilh.jpg

Dark meat/every scrap and end, evenly seasoned potato for me.
DEE39F70-BAE1-46B4-AEA8-5394B40D029F_zpspmhvb9aa.jpg

My boy gets some white and dark meat, barely seasoned potato, and some Gus. He ate every bite!
6f2c7787-6a38-4f60-902c-7ace53fbd7bb_zpsa0ce6119.jpg

Thanks for looking.

That's some fine looking bird right there. :thumb:

My son uses the same plate. It looks almost identical except when he's done the asparagus is usually still there. :tsk: He loves chicken so for his first 3 years every meat that went in that spot was chicken. He's started to catch on now. :laugh:

:mrgreen: Yeah right, you know that 4 section plate was yours...

So, what's the final tally? left or right?

Fingerlickin, We call all meat, "chicken" cause we started it awhile ago. He'll eat pork loin, burgers, steak, ground beef, meatballs.....they're all just different looking chicken. :wink:

Delarob,
Rub was a bit heavy on dark one, but love the flavors. Kinda my go to chicken rub. The sea salt SMELLS super powerfully, but subtle taste. It was fine, and we used most of that half to pull for anther meal. But now I know that I can season with other flavor profiles AND the seasalt.

Toymaster,
I poke holes with a fork, coat in EVOO, sprinkle garlic salt and pepper on each. The variety is just amount of which seasoning. Foiled and indirect for an hour at whatever the grill is cruising at. Skin gets a little snap to it, and inside is like butter.

Thanks for all the feedback, Brethren.

Hey I thought I was the only one rockin the outer space plates. Nice!

Chicken looks banging.

Looks good, you should try @425+ next time

I think you're right on. Any advice on keeping kettle cruising at that temp for 1+ hours. It seems I can get it cranking hot off the bat, but it drops quickly. Feel like I'm doing something wrong for a hot and fast. Maybe I'm just being stingy with lump/charcoal and need to throw more in there.

Great looking dinner, I like your plate best -- dark meat and lots of seasoning. The potato looks great done that way. The leathery potato skin from an uncovered, baked or smoked potato will always be my first love but what you did looks tasty so I should try it out. The chicken is making my mouth water. :thumb:

I like the chicken on the right, even before it's cooked.
Way to get your little feller into the Q!
At 425, you won't be cooking for more than 40 minutes, so your charcoal amount
will be nearly the same methinks.

Back