D

DaveB

I was wondering, which do you prefer? Natural Gas or Propane? Why?

I was wondering, which do you prefer? Natural Gas or Propane? Why?

I prefer charcoal, but if I had to choose between the two, it would be propane because it is portable and readily available in most areas...

Down here our Liquid Gas burns hotter than Natural Gas

I've used all (3) at different times and I can honestly say that I definitely do prefer charcoal.
Now, when it comes to propane vs natural gas it gets a little iffy... as I've powered by BeefEater from both sources at different times.

At a couple places I've lived you could tie on to the main line for gas... so no need to ever fill a bottle or run out during a cook.

Propane yep, it's portable and I do find that it burns a little hotter than NPG too.

At the end of the day, since I'm not gonna haul a gas grill around everywhere I might lean towards the natural gas just for convenience, but I really haven't found much difference in the final product that came off that grill as long as you adjust your settings properly for each fuel source... my BeefEater gets hot enough to sear steak with either type so not much of a trade-off losing the extra bit of heat. The only time I was happier on propane is doing turkey at Christmas with the wind up and roaring... that open bottom grill can use the extra btu's in those conditions, but it never let me down... just took a little bit longer... that's all. :-D

Down here our Liquid Gas burns hotter than Natural Gas

Yes, propane does pack more BTUs than natural gas. Neither can produce the heat that charcoal can.

Natural gas is more convenient. My dad uses it with his Weber Genesis for that reason.

Both are fine for most grilling. Neither will cook a steak the way a charcoal grill can. If I were to buy another gasser, I'd probably get the same setup my dad has -- Weber Genesis and natural gas. I'd still cook my steaks over charcoal.

CD

If you had a gas line readily available, I would say just go with nat-gas. Don't have to worry about being in a middle of a cook and remember you forgot to get a refill. BTW Boomer Sooner!

Back