New guy with a question

Castex1

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Greetings from frozen Texas! I just got an offset smoker used from a friend. I have seen folks using steel plates, pizza stones etc. to tune a smoker. I was wondering what your thoughts are toward using floor tile to do the same thing. Its cheaper than steel plates and not much lost if it doesn't work. Thoughts?

Whats floor tile made of? I'd stick to steel. It's really hot right next to the firebox.

Food safety is always an issue, especially when talking tiles. Some of the glazes are not good to have around food.

The nice thing about using steel plates in an offset is the plates get hot, and hold that heat, and the meat juices get to sizzle and add to the flavor when they hit the plates. Ceramic, not so much.

They are clay or ceramic mostly. Wasn't sure about the heat but they are baked in an oven in production.

Smokin D, I wondered about the glaze too. I will probably go with steel. You know how we are, always over thinking things.

Find steel/metal supply and see if they have end cuts or scrap for sale - oughta be half price or maybe 60/70% of reg price.

Definitely safer getting some scrap steel. Nice to see someone else from the NE side of the metro, BTW.

Back