How do you smoke veggies and other stuff

I've done tomatoes, beets, carrots, winter squashes. I'm sure you could do others, just never tried.

I don't usually use any other seasonings besides salt, because most often these will wind up in soups, sauce or some other dish. The salt helps draw the water out of the vegetables.

Put them on a cookie sheet, cut side up. Sprinkle with a little olive oil and kosher salt. Low temp, lite oak or hickory smoke. I don't like fruit woods with vegetables.

But smoked tomatoes by themselves are great. Olive oil, salt and basil. Out of this world.

Last edited by a moderator:
i love veggies grilled over hickory, usually peppers, onions, tomatos, eggplant and zuccinni. i do this to top rustic pizzas, or as a side dish with a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar drizzled on top. you could get a grill wok to let the smoke get around them. i usually do this at higher temperatures. never did them low and slow.
phil

I don't know that smoking brings anything to the party that grilling over wood coals,( or at least charcoal with wood chips) doesn't. I like the high heat of a grill to char the outside of the veggie while leaving the flesh a little firmer. Olive oil, salt/pepper and grill it over a hot coal bed. It'll taste plenty smokey!

I'll have to give them all a try. I do have a couple of those stainless steel bowls with all the holes for grilling chicken in one and green and red peppers and onions in the other, and then pour over a bed of rice. I do those on the gasser, at high heat until the onions are just starting to carmalize. Yum...

Try smoking onions. cut a little off each end, rub them with oil and throw them on with your next cook. Made six last time and used four for onion soup and the rest in guacamole and on sandwiches.

The consensus seems to be low temp, light smoke. I'll have to try that. My thinking has always been to create a "roasting" environment, so I use high temp for veggies on a cookie sheet. I'm on board with light smoke, though. My best results have been when cooking a turkey at relatively high temps (300-325). I throw the veggies on toward the end, when I'm not putting the smoke to the bird nearly as much. I like a mixture of zuchini, yellow squash, red onion and asparagus. Have to try tomatoes.

A smoked tomato is a completely different animal, I mean vegetable, from it's grilled cousin. As the tomato smokes, it releases a lot of it's juices and the flavors intesify. It's somewhere unique between a fresh tomato and a sun-dried version.

I forgot to mention garlic. Smoke them as whole cloves. When done, you just squeeze out this incredible smoked garlic paste right out of the clove. Damn good stuff.

"A smoked tomato is a completely different animal, I mean vegetable,"

I believe a tomato is a fruit? Yes or No

I usually throw in a foil pan of mushrooms. they suck up alot of smoke flavor. If I can quit eating them right out of the smoker, I am going to try them in my beef stroganoff recipe.

I have to day, it all sounds great. I espically like the garlic. I have one of those garlic terracota thingys that goes in the oven. I might try using that right in the dear next time.

On the Garlic thing, I smoke mine till it’s done, and very soft.
I usually make a lot in advance. I put the smoked garlic in a jar, add some olive oil and mix well. It should have a consistency a little thicker than mayonnaise. Put it in the fridge for future consumption, in sauces etc.
Good Chit!!!! :wink:

cabo said:
On the Garlic thing, I smoke mine till it’s done, and very soft.
I usually make a lot in advance. I put the smoked garlic in a jar, add some olive oil and mix well. It should have a consistency a little thicker than mayonnaise. Put it in the fridge for future consumption, in sauces etc.
Good Chit!!!! :wink:

Do you split the cloves from the head and remove the paper (skin), or do you smoke the whole head and then squeeze out the paste?

Kevin said:
Do you split the cloves from the head and remove the paper (skin), or do you smoke the whole head and then squeeze out the paste?

I take the whole bulb (not individual cloves) and cut off the tippy top of the head - just cutting off the pointy tips. Wrap it in foil and drizzle some good olive oil down onto the freshly cut part, then sealing it up. If on a grill, I keep it completely sealed until its done - usually 10 min. On the smoker I start with it closed then open the top of the foil to get some good smoke flavor at the end of the cook.

Back