Backwoods Butts

• Thread starter NoSwineLeftBehind
  • Start date
N

NoSwineLeftBehind

Hal4UK did a test cook in the BWS Competitor yesterday. 71lbs of butts went in at 8:30. 1" of water in the water pan, and a big azzed fire going underneath. He ran it at/around 275° all day.

20130905_090832.jpg

At 3PM.

20130905_145328.jpg

At 3:40, the butts on top rack were reading 200°.

I got there after work about 4:30, and the butts on the bottom rack were reading 200° as well.

Commencing pulling/chopping (no pics, we have to do that quickly for packaging), and we ended up with 34 1 lb containers packed full of tasty pork.

Turbo butt cooker!

Was the 1" of water maintained through out the cook? I'm not sure I understand the purpose of doing that.

Our BWS Competitor didn't come with that particular model of "fan assist". Is that something new on the market???? :wink: That pretty much parallels our cook times/temps and we have always had a wonderful product at the end. Love Them BWS's!!!!

Our BWS Competitor didn't come with that particular model of "fan assist". Is that something new on the market???? :wink: That pretty much parallels our cook times/temps and we have always had a wonderful product at the end. Love Them BWS's!!!!

:laugh::laugh:

That's our $9 Amazon.com 'guru'. Works like a champ.

Was the 1" of water maintained through out the cook? I'm not sure I understand the purpose of doing that.
I added some water periodically to keep it about there.
It wasn't because the butts needed any extra moisture...
We don't want the water pan full (uses too many BTUs).
Don't want it empty either with all that pork fat dripping.
Might start a fire.
So, about an inch.

Does everyone else get that idea?
Any better ideas?

Looking good from where I'm sitting. If you would take that fan and blow some aroma smoke towards me, I'd 'preciate it!!

Great color and moisture content on those Butts Hal

What type of thermometer you using there ?

I added some water periodically to keep it about there.
It wasn't because the butts needed any extra moisture...
We don't want the water pan full (uses too many BTUs).
Don't want it empty either with all that pork fat dripping.
Might start a fire.
So, about an inch.

Does everyone else get that idea?
Any better ideas?

We do the same with ours. We found that if we filled the water pan full (even with hot water) to start off with it took a LOT longer to come up to cooking temp (we cook around 275F also).

We added a "T" connection, to the flush tube, with a vertical pipe so we could add water without opening the door.

Less than a 50% yield on the pork seems a little low, but it looks good.

Less than a 50% yield on the pork seems a little low, but it looks good.
Naw, it ain't that bad; prolly just over 50%...
We pack the 1 lb containers full. Most are probably 17oz.
We sure don't "short" anyone around here :wink:

really nice color on those butts hal and squirt. your killing it on your new backwoods. do you have to use the fan or will it work ok w/ out it?

Back